Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

How are you at identifying liatris varities?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I wanted to see what was blooming in a nearby property that has never been developed. It's too rocky and rugged near our street and there is a flood plain and creek at the back. A developer owns the part near me and he wanted to get access from another street but the county wouldn't agree. Great for the neighboring kids and those of us who like to hike just a little, but no so good for the builder's investment.

After the cooling rain this evening, I walked along the road easement and snapped these pictures of a blooming liatris. I know it's not Liatris mucronata because I have that and it's no where close to blooming.

What is really unusual here is that there seems to be two distinct types of blooms on some of the plants.

This first photo shows two plants. The one on the right has a bloom spike on a single stalk. (my mucronata has many stalks from a single plant) Next to the single bloom is a plant with many stalks and a ball type bloom on a single sepal. This one shows the true color of the blooms.

None of the plants with spike blooms seemed to have multiple stalks which made me think they might be punctata. But there were a lot of plants with the ball type bloom with multiple stalks which made me think scariosa. Like the next photo. (colors aren't true here and the next one. It was getting too dark)

But there were several plants like this next photo that look like a mixture of the spike flower stalks and the ball flower stalks.

I'm going back tomorrow when there is more light to see if there are any dots on the leaves.

Any ideas?

Comments (10)