Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skitele

Bradford Pear Replacement

skitele
10 years ago

I moved into a house with a mature Bradford pear tree planted 6-7 feet from the wall of the garage. It was really large, its branches rubbed on the house and it was simply too close. The the upper limbs were splaying apart and the trunks were starting to split. The tree was removed. I have my regrets as we miss the shade and it certainly filled the space.

We now have a southwest facing inside corner with a relatively boring 2 story brick wall which we would like to re-plant in front of. The house is french provincial. The planting area is a 15x15 foot square bound by the house on 2 sides and the sidewalk and driveway on the other

We would like to have something tall enough to cover the exterior wall and allow for some landscaping underneath it. Ideally the mature tree would be 20-25 feet. We would love shade, but I am afraid that anything that is wide enough for shade will do the same thing the pear did and smother the house.

Options we've come up with are crepe myrtle, magnolia and redbud. Any ideas on some others to consider?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia