Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

Zebra grass and landscaping around pool?

ladybugfruit
13 years ago

So I am starting to form ideas about landscaping around my pool and stumbled across zebra grass at one of the nursery's the other day. Read the specs but wanting input from other north Texas gardeners out there. How is it really on water needs and how has yours done? I lean more towards xeriscaping in my designs. Also any suggestions for hardy drought tolerant plants around the pool?

Thanks,

LBF

Comments (3)

• fairview
    13 years ago

To maintain good looks, it will need supplemental irrigation during the summer. More importantly, large ornamental grasses like these have the ability to make nasty paper cuts on arms and legs. Not every time but when the moisture is correct and the angle of impact is just right, ornamental grasses can give you a paper cut you will not soon forget. It needs to be set back several feet from the pool's deck

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I'm not in North Texas, but I love Zebra Grass. It does need water to get established and a bit of supplemental water in the hot, dry summer weeks.

Zebra Grass leaves are a little softer than some ornamental grasses, but still have a slight sharpness to them. The softest grasses in my garden are Pink Muhly and Ruby Savannah. Ruby Savannah is supposed to be an annual, but mine came through last winter's extreme cold here just fine.

• ladybugfruit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input! Ohhh, I forgot about Pink Muhly...that's definitely going on the "plant want" list.
    I was at one of the big box stores a few days ago and asked when they might put the zebra grass on sale and the manager offered to sell me them for 1/2 price!!! Yippee! I got four of them. Now I just need it to cool off a bit so I can start planting. Haha, my patio is almost full of markdown plants I have been getting to start my new beds.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner