Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the best time to repot Plumeria and cut it back ?

Posted by carolann_z8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 10:19

One of my plumeria is growing sideways. I should've turned it so it wouldn't try and reach for the sun and grow that way but it's too late.

I'm going to have to cut it back because it's about 8' tall and taking over the world and I also need to repot it.
My question is should I cut it back and repot it now or before I bring it in this winter or wait till spring to do both?

Please help me plummie people.

Thanks in advance, Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the best time to repot Plumeria and cut it back ?

It will start to go dormant soon. Leave it alone. In the spring, I do mine in February but you may want to wait till March, cut it back. Let the cuttings air dry for 2-3 weeks. Put them in a pot of good potting soil, water well then set them aside & ignore them. Don't water. When you see signs of new growth then you can start watering & move them to a sunnier location. I put my cuttings in the back under the trees, they get a little water when it rains but no supplemental watering. When they start to sprout or grow I start watering regularly. Don't let them get too wet or they will rot. If you cut the tree back in early spring the sap will not be in the limbs yet and you will have less damage to the tree.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks Tally. I just found a site that gives some info. on them.

I don't think it says when to repot but it says pertty much what you said about rooting cuttings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Plumeria trees are tropical and therefore must have conditions at least approximating tropical/subtropical in order to flourish. Plumeria do best in full sun with at least a half day's sun exposure to bloom properly. They do well when potted in an appropriate size pot to the size of the tree in well drained soil. The appropriate sized pot acts as a ballast for the tree so that it does not blow over in a breeze. The following is a list of items important to growing plumeria:

AS MUCH SUN AS POSSIBLE

FERTILIZER HIGH IN PHOSPHORUS (NPK MIDDLE NUMBER)

WATER SOLUBLE FERTILIZER SHOULD HAVE A PHOSPHORUS CONTENT OF 50 OR HIGHER

GRANULAR FERTILIZER SHOULD HAVE A PHOSPHORUS CONTENT OF 20 OR HIGHER

PLANT IN A WELL DRAINED SOIL

MAKE SURE THE DRAIN HOLES IN THE POT ARE NOT CLOGGED, SO EXCESS WATER CAN DRAIN

PLUMERIA MAY BE GROWN INDOORS WITH GROW LIGHTS

PLUMERIA DO WELL IN SCREENED POOL CAGES IF THE CAGE IS IN FULL SUN

WHEN ROOTING PLUMERIA SUBMERGE NO MORE THAN 3 INCHES INTO THE SOIL FOR A 12" TO 16" CUTTING

DO NOT WATER PLUMERIA WHILE THEY ARE ROOTING

THE ROOTING PROCESS SHOULD TAKE 4 TO 6 WEEKS IN LATE SPRING AND SUMMER

ROOTING PLUMERIA IS SUCCESSFUL AT MINIMUM TEMPERATURES OF 60 DEGREES

YOU MAY USE ROOTING HORMONE IF YOU WISH, IN MOST CASES IT IS NOT NECESSARY

DARK REDS AND SINGAPORES ARE THE MOST DIFFICULT TO ROOT

BEGIN SLIGHT WATERING OF A ROOTING PLUMERIA WHEN THE LEAVES ARE WELL DEVELOPED

ONCE THE LEAF HEAD HAS FULLY DEVELOPED YOU CAN WATER NORMALLY

REGARDLESS OF POPULAR OPINION PLUMERIA LIKE WATER, JUST NOT TOO MUCH

WATERING SCHEDULE DEPENDS ON THE TIME OF YEAR

THE HOTTER THE WEATHER THE MORE WATER IS NECESSARY TO KEEP LUSH GREEN FOLIAGE

IF A BUD IS PRESENT IN A PLUMERIA CUTTING, IT MAY VERY WELL BLOOM WHILE ROOTING

WHEN DORMANT (WINTER, DECEMBER THRU FEBRUARY/MARCH), DO NOT WATER

REMOVE AND COLD DAMAGE IMMEDIATELY (CUT UNTIL CENTER IS WHITE

BEGIN WATERING AND FERTILIZING AT THE FIRST SIGN OF THE GROWTH TIP COMING TO LIFE (IT BECOMES WET LOOKING)

PLUMERIA ARE HARDY TO 33 DEGREES

IF GROWN INSIDE OR IN A GREENHOUSE, PLUMERIA ARE SUBJECT TO (WHITEFLIES, SPIDERMITES, & MEALY BUGS)

THEY ALL CAN BE CONTROLLED WITH WEEKLY APPLICATIONS OF INSECTICIDAL SOAP

ROOTBOUND PLUMERIA BLOW OVER IN A SLIGHT WIND, REPOT OR ROOT PRUNE

ESTABLISHED PLUMERIA TREES, GROWING IN THE GROUND CAN TOLERATE LOW WATER CONDITIONS (XERISCAPE)

PLUMERIA MAY BE PRUNED MOST ANY TIME OF THE YEAR, BUT WINTER IS OPTIMUM

DO NOT EXPECT FLOWERS FOR SEVERAL YEARS ON LIMBS OF SMALL TREES WHICH HAVE BEEN PRUNED

LARGE ESTABLISHED TREES ARE CAPABLE OF BLOOMING THE SAME YEAR THEY ARE PRUNED

PLUMERIA GROWN FROM SEED DO NOT NECESSARILY HOLD TRUE TO THE PARENT

ON AVERAGE, A SEEDLING WILL NOT BLOOM UNTIL IT IS 3 YEARS OLD

CUTTINGS ARE FAR AND AWAY THE BEST METHOD OF STARTING PLUMERIA

POTTING SOIL OR PERLITE OR A COMBINATON THEREOF ARE GOOD FOR ROOTING CUTTINGS

o

Thanks I was wondering too. My plumeria are blooming earlier than the norm I guess. PJ

o

"ON AVERAGE, A SEEDLING WILL NOT BLOOM UNTIL IT IS 3 YEARS OLD"

I don't know about this. The one that bloomed for the first time last year was a newly rooted one.

o

Take cuttings from a blooming branch for blooms the same year.

I use TX Star plumeria food or fish emulsion on mine.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks, I think I'll try that.

My big one is blooming right now:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Carolann, I'd like to see what size pot you have that plumi in!
Can you get a shot of it standing back so I can see the whole thing top to bottom?

Mine are still tiny..but growing.. really really growing good.
No signs of any blooms but I've already told myself there won't be any this year. :)

o

Melvalena, here's a picture of it.

It would be taller then me if it grew straight. lol
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I think they just like growing crooked. Even the ones in the front yard grow like this, they are in the ground, full sun. I remember them on the North shore of Oahu leaning too, I thought it was just from the wind.

Put that baby in a bigger pot!! Though it is just harder to move then isn't it? I repotted a couple on the back deck and they have doubled in size in about 5 weeks. Of course all this rain has helped too.
Tally HO!

o

Tally, don't say they doubled in size in 5 weeks. That would be pretty scary. It will be harder to take in but I think worth it. I love the tropical look.

I have a huge plastic pot that a tree came in so maybe I'll plant it in that and find a cute basket to sit it in so it won't be ugly. I wish I had a huge pot to sit it in but one that size would make me have to take out a second mortgage on the house. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here