Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sap from Pecan tree

Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 10:20

How long does this "fall" and how easy is it to get off?

I've noticed it before, but until now all that was under the pecans was weeds and dirt so never paid much attention. Now we have some hardscaping (gravel patio)which is covered with gooey sticky sap.

Will it just wash off with some water? How long does this happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sap from Pecan tree

The only time it's not falling is when the tree is dormant, in winter. It is hard to wash off, it takes soap and water and elbow grease. Cheryl

o

It sounds like honeydew. Aphids secrete it. We are getting it here right now, too. We had it so bad one year that the asphalt was shiny under the pecan trees by the road. I have had to wash my car windows just to get my windshield wipers unstuck. I now try to keep my car away from trees when the aphids are active I have even seen them active in a mild winter. It does go away in time. There may be a spray for the aphids, but I have always just gritted my teeth until it passes. It would sure be nice if the ladybugs would stay on top of this.

o

• Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 11:07

Interesting. I haven't seen any aphids but it is as you describe. It's not just under the pecans, it's also under the cedar elm, but not the other trees. Everything is shiny and sticky.

I know this happens every year - we've seen it before - but I've never paid attention to how long it lasts or how easy it is to remove since I've never had anything that mattered getting covered...well, except the car and that we have to wash. I just don't want to figure out how to wash off the patio stuff then do it again a week later. I guess I'll wait awhile. Maybe all this hard rain will wash it off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here