Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting to think of winter... Pruning help please

Posted by ukmatt (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 11:06

Hi,

We've been living in TX (North of Houston) for a couple of years and we've had some issues getting the new garden through winter.

We have a selection of fairly typical local plants - beautyberries, hollies, texas star hibiscus, turks caps, cuphea.

Is there a good guide to pruning out there somewhere? Every winter we watch the shrubs lose their leaves and then wait to see if any of them come back to life in Spring!

Any tips?

UKMatt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting to think of winter... Pruning help please

If the Hibiscus and the Turk's Cap are hit by a good freeze (which pretty much everyone had last year) the vegetative growth will die back to the roots and re-sprout the following spring. If that happens everything gets cut back to the ground during a pleasant winter day. Both show up later than most plants in the spring so they need some time. If you have a deciduous Yaupon Holly it is normal for them to lose their foliage during the winter. Typically Yaupons are lifted to show off their multi-trunks

o

Here's a good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning

o

I have a question about pruning tomatos: I want to save one healthy tomato plant in a container for a fall crip. The plant is about 4 ft. tall right now. Where do I trim it?

o

You just may want to cut off the tops and re-plant them deep after pulling off most of its leaves. The tops seems to do better than trying to save the parent plant.

o

Thanks, Wally. That's exactly what I needed to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here