Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zerolotline

Good readily available fertilizer.

Louis
10 years ago

Suggestions please for high quality fertilizer for our St. Augustine grass. We were using Scott's but since they use Monsanto ingredients in many of there products we must switch brands. Your suggested product much be sold at readily available retail locations. Our home is in Dallas County, zone 8a.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

If I were physically able, I would spread 1/2 inch of compost and water it in well.
    This makes for happy earth worms.

• Louis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bet it does! No not able to handle that chore.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Alfalfa pellets. 50 pounds for $12-14 at the feed store. You can use it on the lawn and gardens as often as you like and it will not cause any nitrogen burn.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I use alfalfa pellets and/or soy bean meal and cotten seed meal our Floratam St. Augustine. It works GREAT. I don't know if those products are grown from Monsanto seeds. It's hard to get away from Monsanto derived products these days.

We used to get a load of compost to spread on the lawn and beds every couple of years, but as mentioned above it is a lot more work. Not only that, but we've been told that horse manure, which is a main ingrediant compost, contains weed killer used on their hay to kill broad leaf weeds that are lethal to horses. It's getting ever more difficult to be organic, eh?

• carrie751
    10 years ago

What is the ratio of either alfalfa pellets or cottonseed meal per, let's say, 4000 square feet???

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

20 lbs for every 1000 sqft. I usually go for soybean meal due to its higher nitrogen for the buck.

Sometimes I use 15-5-10 synthetic fertilizer in October for fall fertilizing to try and maximize tree growth the next year.

I try everything so don't ask me why I try synthetic fertilizer. I was just curious. Did it work? I don't know but I know for sure that using it 3-4 times within the year will DEFINITELY increase water demand for grass compared to organic program.

After one time compost spreading, it is not needed more. All you have to do is apply organic fertilizer few times a year to keep microbe soil happy. I once used Ladybug mixed with Biozome to fertilize my yard. It is still a progress in work considering that I moved in last winter and soil is very compacted from the construction.

I need to get some African nightcrawlers and Alabama jumpers to release into the ground and let them improve compacted soil ASAP.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Thanks.

• Louis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You folks seem to be a very good dedicated lot. Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade but I am disabled so I need a conventional fertilizer which can be purchased from a retail establishment. Thank you for your continued consideration.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I buy the products mentioned above at a feed store and throw it out there by hand, but I don't have a very large lawn area. I have used my fertilizer spreader with soy bean or cotton seed meal, but it doesn't work with the larger size alfalfa pellets. Sorry, I can't name a commercial fertilizer. Hopefully, someone else can.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

There are "commercial" organic fertilizers sold at big box stores such as Scotts Natural Lawn Food and milorganite.

Usually, local specialized organic nurseries will have their own. Sometimes feed stores carry them like Texas Tea, Lady Bugs, etc.

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

I don't live in the Dallas area so can't tell you where to get them, but Nito Phos, Fertilome, and Bonide all make excellent lawn fertilizers.

Jim

• carrie751
    10 years ago

There is also one called FALL by Nature's Guide sold at nurseries that specialize in organics. I think it runs around $20 for a forty pound bag and this covers approximately 4000 square feet. Just learned of this one yesterday so cannot give you any recommendation based on experience.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

We switched to alfalfa and corn meal gluten fertilizers when the Scotts/Vigoro products we'd been using on St. Augustine for years with good results exacerbated problems tipped off by the lack of rain and extended alkaline irrigation during 2011. The Nature's Guide lawn fertilizers have worked well for us, though don't have any experience yet with the ones that include poultry litter, such as their fall fertilizer. More expensive than buying in bulk at feed stores, but more convenient for us to pick up pre-bagged at a local Calloway's or Elliot's. A full list of retail outlets for their products can be found under the "Dealers" link on their website. Not all dealers carry all products, so good to call first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natures Guide lawn fertilizers

• Louis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's a Calloway's not far from us. I'll give them a call.