Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weeds2015

Mosquitos and White Flies

Gretchen W.
9 years ago

Okay I am outside and sprayed with Deet repellant and I can't even work in my yard. I had to come in after getting bit up on my arm and also going for my face. Peppermint oil and Tea Tree oil help with the itch issue.
West Nile was tested positive near here so I really don't want to deal with that.
Those little white bugs are all over the lantana, what can I do to get rid of them?
Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• melvalena
    9 years ago

Its bad here too. :( I haven't been working in the yard in a while.

Our mosquito control people told me this is the worst they've ever seen since being in business. They've been changing their formulas and have the mist sprayed more often to keep them under control .

I don't spray myself down, but I do spray the area around where we sit out on the porch. It helps a lot. But sometimes nothing works.

I've been spraying my potted stuff with a mix of ammonia/ dish soap/alcohol and water too keep the white flies from doing too much damage. It doesn't kill them all, but helps keep the population under control.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I don't use chemical sprays on my body because it makes me feel like I'm on fire. I crush about a dozen basil leaves off of my big plant and repeatedly rub the oil on my skin. My hubby used Off and got bit. I used basil and didn't get bit. Can you stand to wear long sleeves and pants and just spray the uncovered areas? It takes awhile to get used to, but I wore long sleeves and pants when I worked at a plant nursery all day in the sun. It's actually cooler once you break a sweat and I didn't have to wear sunscreen.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

We have gotten a few large Gallinipper mosquitos in the mix of all the others. They are huge and HURT, but they are slow and easy to swat, but swat hard. They bit through clothes. It is bad down here too. No white flies. I have been spraying clothes but I will try the basil. Thanks.

• wally_1936
    9 years ago

I sometimes use SSS by Avon and carry a misting bottle with water and dish soap as backup.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I've found that pinning a couple of scented dryer sheets to my clothes help tremendously in keeping mosquitos away.

I tape them near the back door and the doggy door to keep them from following us in the house.

As you know, mosquitos track us by the carbon dioxide released in our breath so any scent that serves to mask that helps deter them.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

God I hate living life in an innocuous bubble of corporate fragrances but I guess the alternative is not so good either.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

When I worked in a plant nursery, my boss always called lantana white fly food. It was a wholesale nursery. When we walked by the lantanas the white flies were so plentiful it was like a white cloud rising above them. Throw them out and use something else would be my suggestion. White flies are hard to kill. You have to spray constantly.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I'm with you Mara, I can't stand to use them in my dryer and have my clothes and linens smelling like that, but they work in the way described and it sure beats Deet or getting bitten.