o
What is this vine?

Posted by txgardenlady Z8B in Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 11:30

It;s in west texas Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this vine?

Is it possibly a low growing bush rather than a vine? Leaves resemble rhus trilobata (skunkbush sumac) and looks like var. pilosissima is native to west TX.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhus trilobata

o

Thanks - looks like it to me.

o

Problem - the leaves are somewhat smooth, rather than fuzzy and it is a vine.

Berries are single too.

o

vine has tendrils holding it to fence - thick shiny leaves

o

'Autumn Amber' was the creeping cultivar I was thinking of. Leaf fuzziness varies a lot by variety and across the season, but it's certainly not r. trilobata if it has tendrils and single berries.

So, until someone who knows chimes in.... could it be some kind of sorrelvine (cissus trifoliata)? It has the tendrils, but berries may not match your description.

o

I agree with Cissus trifoliata or something closely related. Leaves are thick and succulent.

o

Poison Ivy?that vine does not like me! it hates me with a passion.

o

Cissus trifoliate. You either love it or hate it. DO NOT try to dig it out. Every where you injure a root a new plant will grow. others will come out from other roots. I don't mind it, I just don't want it all over my front beds.

o

I like it. It has pretty leaves and quietly roams around in the shady parts in the back of the yard, but doesn't try to take over. I've even transplanted it to places where I wanted a mannerly vine on the back fence. It's a larva host plant for a beautiful moth as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cissus trifoliate

o

It looks like ivy to me at least it looks like the variety I have growing in my shaded areas of my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here