Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help

Posted by garciafa 8 navasota tx (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 11:35

i bought 20 bougainvillea plants last fall they were flowering and pretty i was fixing a bed so i didnt plant them until about march...i did keep them watered and in from the cold..my problem is that since i have planted them they have grown but never not even one flower on any of them and yes i have feed them bougainvillea food and watered them well. so what gives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help

It been my observation that when planted in the ground Bougainvilleas work on developing an extensive root system and grow large before they bloom. They are wonderful in the ground growing against a sunny wall where they will get eight feet or more tall and bloom their heads off. In a mild San Antonio winter they don't die back and start blooming early in the summer. If they freeze back they will want to grow tall again before blooming.

If you don't have room for them to grow that large they do very well in pots which restricts their roots so that they feel stressed and start 'thinking' "I better hurry up and bloom because I may die soon" or something to that effect.

I have nine bougies in two to three gallon pots that bloom all summer. They are my most reliable plants for summer color. Before the first freeze I tie up the branches and carry them into a greenhouse for winter. Maybe you could dig some of yours up and put in pots to place around the garden, others could go against a fence or wall if your climate would be kind to them in winter.

They are great plants and worth working with to get the best out of them. By the way, they like full blasting hot all day searing sun to bloom well. In pots they need watering at least every other day, sometimes daily, depending on the wind and temperatures. But if they wilt before watering they will recover as long as the intervals between waterings are not too long.

Wishing you the best with your potentially beautiful bougies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here