Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting time for Fava beans

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 12:24

They say that Fava beans are a cold weather crop. Should I plant them now with my other beans or with my snow peas later???. I have never grown them before. I am in 8b west of Austin. Should I have them planted so I can cover them with a frost cloth.????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting time for Fava beans

I just looked on a website that said they are a fall plant and to plant with snow peas. I don't know if the website was for northern climates or ours.

o

I asked a lady friend in Equador (in the mountains) and she said to plant them now because they are slower growing than peas and would do well with the extra time. She also said that they can grow when it is warmer but the beans are better when they get some frost. I am guessing I could plant some now and some later as a test. They are also good at growing in alkaline soil. True her alkaline soil gets a routine pelting of volcanic ash. Free fertilizer floating down from the sky. How convenient.

o

Well I soaked some , and planted them just as the Hermine rolled in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here