Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do You Keep Squirrels Away ...

Posted by walnutcreek AHS Hardiness Zone%3 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 13:03

from patio furniture. The cushions on my patio furniture was destroyed by squirrels. I finally spent what to me was a small fortune in buying replacement cushions. Put them on the furniture, and two days later, a squirrel had made a large hole and dug into the stuffing.

I sort of understood digging into the stuffing in the spring for homes/nests for babies, but in the fall!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do You Keep Squirrels Away ...

They are sneaky little critters. I don't leave anything outdoors anymore. They chewed up my hammock and absconded with a nice macrame plant hanger. I think that they are building warm nests for the upcoming winter.

o

BB gun...could not resist. :-)

o

Try coating your furniture in a hot chili-based squirrel repellent. See the link below for a recipe.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Wildlife Rescue, Inc.

o

I pick up my cusions. I also leave dog combings and dryer lint out so they can use it in nests.

o

Thanks for the tips. I guess I will just bring the cushions out when we want to use them and then back in, but what a nuisance.

The strange thing is that I have an outdoor dining set with with back cushions and seat cushions which has been outside for years. The squirrels never bother that. I can't figure it out.

o

I leave old towels cut up into washcloth sized pieces and leave out in fall for their winter nest building. They will go for the easy stuff before they go to the trouble of digging into cusions. I've had them destroy cushions, even the dog's outdoor blanket was dragged 1/2 way across the yard but the squirrel couldn't carry it up the tree, so it just chewed a corner off. They just use the towels now. I try to take care of the squirrels that visit my yard. They even get fed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here