Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skinny shrubs

Posted by lynnmariep86 8 DFW (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 13:20

Happy Labor Day!

This weekend we pulled out the cypress (I think) shrubs that were on either side of our door because they just got too wide for the spot, even after severe pruning. So I've searched the internets looking for a very skinny replacement, but the "perfect" ones either won't take alkaline soils, or heat, or something else. Any ideas for a skinny, evergreen shrub in alkaline clay on the west side of the house??? Tall is OK, fat is not!

Thanks in advance!

Lynn Marie P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skinny shrubs

Nandina is the only one that I've ever found that can be skinny. I have the very same issue on my west side and the nandina has done fine there. I use the gulfstream and the compacta cause they don't tend to spread by runners like the standard one does. No berries on the gulfstream and my tallest is about 5 1/2', but I do get berries on the compacta which will grow taller.

o

how about Sky Pencil Holly or Italian Cypress?

o

I was looking at sky pencil holly or green tower boxwood. But since green tower boxwood is patented by Monrovia, and they don't have any for sale in our area, sky pencil holly will probably win out. Besides, Monrovia is proud of their patented shrubs, and sky pencil holly can be had on the internet for $5.00!

o

Be careful with the sky pencil. It's too hot here for them and they don't like clay soil. Don't grow very fast either so that $5 plant on the intenet would take forever to gain any size, even if it survived. Sorry to be negative.

o

I just set out a sky pencil holly, and I had to shell out $27 for it in a 3 gallon pot. I just assumed it was still under patent. Mine will only get 4 hours of direct light. I would hesitate to put one in full sun.

I think nandina is a lovely plant, but you usually see them in groupings, not as stand alone specimens. If you don't cut them back from time to time, they will get leggy.

Boxwood might be your best bet, if you think it will take all that sun. Otherwise, you might go with photinia, and plan on doing a lot of pruning.

o

Well, they were selling them at Home Depot and I got one anyway. Now my hubby is perturbed with me! I did save the receipt though. I don't know why I ask for advice, then ignore it!

Lynn Marie

o

Italian cypress get 100' tall. They have a dwarf version avalible on line.

o

I tried skypencil too, but killed it. I'm pretty sure it got too hot, so maybe it would do ok in a more sheltered spot. Photinia wants to get huge, you will be trimming it constantly. Boxwood is better behaved, and doesn't mind being shaped any old way.
Take a look at the "Will Fleming" yaupon holly. It might be perfect for your spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here