Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dallasblooms

Thoughts on Sweet Mock Orange

dallasblooms
12 years ago

I was thinking of replacing my juniper shrubs with sweet mock orange. Anybody have these? I was wondering how wide they get (I was going to buy the version that gets 10 feet tall). Also, anything I should know, like the actual name of the version that's 10 feet tall :).

Anything else you've experienced liked/hated about it would help me decide. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I had one at my former house that was a single and about that tall and bloomed. It was not very big around.
    I bought a double that has never bloomed in the 6 years I have had it. I transplanted it when I moved to this house in 2007.
    I researched the doubles and quite a few people had the same complaint.
    They are not evergreen. If you want evergreen, you might consider sweet olive.

Here is a link that might be useful: osmanthus fragans

• dallasblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgive my ignorance, but single? double? Do you mean blooms? What I was going for was an evergreen version that wasn't too wide. It sounds like you were happy with a "single" and if it blooms it's icing on the cake for me.

The sweet olive sounds tempting too. Thanks for the link!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I had a shorter and non evergreen one at my old house. I really loved the way the branches arch, so graceful...reminds me of forsythia.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Yes, I was referring to the blooms.

Google Philadelphus and see if you can find an evergreen cultivar.

Here is a link that might be useful: double blooming

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I love the pure white flowers. If I remember right they have a fairly long blooming period in the spring, six to eight weeks I think.

Be advised that not all of them are fragrant. I have one that was given to me that is not, and then happened to sniff one at a nursery that was very fragrant, so of course I bought it. I appreciate them both, but don't know the names of the varieties.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Is anyone growing philadelphus mexicanus? It may be called Flora Plena Mock Orange.

Do any of you have any experiences to add about any of the mock oranges? Thanks, Lou

• denisew
    10 years ago

I saw this planted at the Texas Agrilife Trial Gardens at Meyers Park in McKinney. They seemed to be doing well there.

• annieinaustin
    10 years ago

Dallasblooms - just wondering what you mean by "Mock Orange"? In the north that's always a Philadelphus but since coming to Texas I've learned that people may also call the evergreen Japanese Pittosporum Mock Orange and in the warmest parts of Texas you sometimes see Murraya paniculata called Mock Orange. Some kinds of Japanese Pittosporum say 10-feet tall.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I had Mexican Mock orange in downtown Austin on the cut bank of the Colorado river so we had a lot of clay and river rubble that had been worked for one hundred years so the ground was very fertile. It was in shade till afternoon. I didn't do a lot of watering and it was fragrant. It had a loose arching informal habit in the part shade of a live oak tree. I liked it. I aso had other mock oranges. There is a Canyon and a Texas mock orange t. Shiny dark leaves and very nice.

The Texas Mock Orange is more drought resistant (Philadelpius texensis). Fragrant But it is deer food.

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHTE3

Here is a link that might be useful: canyon Mock Orange

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Mara and Lou, those plants sound fascinating. I wonder if they would grow in and on my wooden pyramid in the sun?

Anyone see them for sale around San Antonio.

Annie, that's a good question.

Here is a link that might be useful: philadelphus mexicanus

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think they are underestimating their cold hardiness at San Marcus Growers. I grew it in Austin for years. I did plant them because the cold front of 1987 that got down to 2F (!) killed my pittusporum. It grew fine into a loose mounding habitat hid the hurricane fence.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 14:31

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor