Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Planting in utility easement?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I talked to a neighbor last night (neighbor 1 if you look at my drawing) and he mentioned that they are thinking of moving. They are a couple a little older than we are but his wife has a number of medical problems and their kids want them to move closer to them when he retires in a year or so. The problem for them, just as it is for us, is the neighbor beside them, messy neighbor 2. The messy neighbors don't mow their yard until it is waist high and they never trim, so even after mowing their yard looks pretty bad. They also have broken chairs in the yard, and the house needs some maintenance.

We were going to sell our house this summer, but job timing isn't right yet, so we decided not to. We also wanted time to screen off those neighbors or wait until it didn't look so bad. We'd even considered waiting until winter and having someone mow and trim their yard so it would look ok for a few months. Neighbor 1 mentioned the same thing, only they thought they'd probably have to hire a service to do messy neighbor weekly since they want to sell in the spring. He wanted to know if it worked out that we put our houses on the market at the same time if we would go in together on a service to take care of messy neighbor's front yard.

I personally don't want to do anything for the messy neighbors. They have mooched off neighbor 3 for years until neighbor 3 finally got fed up with them, but it might be worth it to have their yard mowed if it would make the difference in selling quickly and getting the price we want.

But there's also the problem of messy neighbor's backyard, and that's where this question comes in. Messy neighbors have a couple of aggressive dogs so having their back yard done is out of the question. All we can do is screen it from our yard. But you can see in my drawing that we have an easement all around our yard, and sometimes the electric company comes in to work on the two power poles with transformers.

I'm not really worried about the legality of planting in the easement because as you can see, neighbor 4 planted right in the middle of it and other than trimming the photinias one time, the electric company hasn't done anything about those.

What I'd like to do is plant things that will screen the neighbors, quickly if possible, and not be so aggressive that it is a nuisance, and not tall enough to touch the overhead electric lines.

That completely rules out trees. The two existing shrubs in our yard in the easement are eleagnus and so far haven't gotten too tall. One mysteriously died out but the other two weren't affected by whatever it was that killed it. The seedlings from them are fairly annoying though.

Any ideas?

Also, do you see where the electric lines cuts across the corner of the backyard? Not in the easement. I'd like a tree in that corner since there isn't an overhead line. Any pros or cons there?

This post was edited by marti8a on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 13:48

Comments (7)

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you tried calling code enforcement on Messy Neighbor? In most cities there are laws about how to keep your yard and if they get a visit from the police every week, they may get the hint. You could also have every neighbor call the police (or whoever), so they don't get mad at just you. In my town, the police won't even tell them who called.

Red tip photinias are about the fastest growing shrubs I know of.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I could lynnmarie, but they aren't in the city. We are though. It's weird out here. One house is in and the next is not. And the county doesn't have a code to enforce.

Back to my question though, is there anything you would plant in an easement that would screen and not cause the electric company problems?

And would you plant a tree in the corner on the easement since the electric company strung their line off the easement?

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 16:40

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

Variegated privet? Knockout roses? A shrub-type crape myrtle? How tall is that power line?

We have a similar situation, and after the new fence is installed, we'll be planting the back corner with something to screen the neighbor's mess out. So far my plan is for the privet, but photinia would be my second choice. I saw a crape myrtle planted behind privet in some commercial landscaping the other day and the combination was really pretty.

It annoys me that people who live in the country feel free to use their yard as a dumping ground. Just because we don't have codes and ordanances, doesn't mean we should live like pigs.

• Gretchen W.
    9 years ago

How about planting crepe myrtle bushes? I agree with the knock out roses or a climbing rose bush that you can put on a trellis. What about Magnolia tree?
    If you were to hire a service to clean up their yard would that pose problems as the messy neighbor could make waves and do something more drastic to the homes you are selling. Has anyone approached the messy neighbors and asked them kindly to clean up their yard?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The weirdest thing - someone, maybe even the owners, mowed and trimmed the yard yesterday. I think it was someone else though because there were two of them out there with weed-eaters, and supposedly the homeowners don't have a weed-eater. They even did the six foot Johnson grass around the driveway, and all around the house AND they did the backyard. I don't think the backyard has been trimmed in the years they have lived here. But another family moved in with them a month or so ago (3 families there now), so maybe they had a weed-eater and did it.

franksmom, I'd guess the lines are about 16 feet above ground. I've got a vitex planted under it now but it will get too tall if it grows like my other one. The photinias get much too tall, and they get that disease now that I don't want to deal with later. Knockout roses are a good idea. Right height and they'd be pretty too. I'd like to find something native, but right now fast and thick takes priority.

Gretchen, neither we or the neighbors would hire anyone to do their yard without their permission. Someone would have to talk to them, but that's another reason I don't want to do it, and I'm not sure who would.(Talk to them, that is) These neighbors have burned their bridges with most of the other neighbors. The neighbor who called me, man Neighbor 1, might be able to talk to them. Though from what he said, his only interaction with them has been to tell them he was going to call the police if they didn't keep their aggressive dog out of their (Neighbor 1) backyard, turn down their music at midnight, etc. The male neighbor on the other side of them is a peacemaker, and he might be able to talk to them, but he lost it one summer when the parents left the kids in the house all summer with no food and no money. I don't know if he is speaking to the parents now or not.

But hey, it's mowed and trimmed now, so I guess now is the time for any of us to put ours on the market I guess. Too bad we're not ready.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 22:59

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I would say black berries, and trellis. They take over things quickly if you start with a large 5 gal, or larger bush. My cousin had planted 3 on a fence row a year ago. We trim it back a couple of weeks ago, as the fence was no longer able to be seen.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks centexan254. We have a chain link fence. Any chance the blackberries would pull it over?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting