Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Do I have a new Turk's cap sport?

jardineratx
9 years ago

My common red turk's cap has bloomed beautifully this year and it is one of my favorite plants. This morning when I went out to trim back a few blooming branches, I saw this one branch sporting this beautiful white bloom with a red edge. Have any of you had this type of mutation? I cut the branch and plan to root it, hoping for some really pretty new turk's cap plants next year.
Molly

Comments (18)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I've not seen that but it is really pretty!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

It sure looks like a beautiful sport. I wish you well with it ... :-)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Wow. Hope you can root some cuttings! They are rather easy to root with rooting hormone and something to keep humidity up in bright shade like plastic container in very well drained loose mix.

I want one! Never saw like that before.

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it looks like the sport on my turk's cap is something new,all right. I will definitely be very careful in my propagation attempt, especially knowing that I will need to protect it from cold for a few months.
    I plan to try rooting the little cuttings in small containers that I can keep on my covered porch for a few weeks, then, if they root (which I feel optimistic about), I will keep the pots indoors during the winter. I have plenty of sunny windows where I can baby the young plants.
    Sharing this beauty is something I definitely want to do.
    Molly

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I'd buy that ;)

• annieinaustin
    9 years ago

What fun to find a new flower! The color reminds me of Hot Lips salvia - good luck!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I thought about Hot Lips salvia too. If I remember correctly the people that discovered the Hot Lips sport in their garden set up a website and sold it from there until it really caught on.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I want one too.

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so pleased to hear such interest in this color bloom that has not been seen on a turk's cap; however, I am getting a little worried that my attempt at rooting this new clone will be unsuccessful. I went out today to see if there are any other stems that have these bi-color blooms, but there are none. I will keep my fingers crossed and will keep the Texas Garden forum members in mind when I do have "babies" to share.
    Molly

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Actually if you succeed in rooting a plant that flowers like this, I would suggest working with a nurseryman who has the facilities to mass produce and introduce it commercially.
    I showed the photo to a friend of mine who is a commercial nurseryman and interest was certainly expressed.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Wow! We have Turk's cap all over the place here, and I have never seen one like that. You will have to have it named after you. ; )

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 9:27

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was so excited to see the beautiful, bi-color blooms on my turk's cap a few weeks ago and quickly attempted to root a portion of that stem. The rooting, however, was unsuccessful, which was really disappointing since they are usually pretty easy to root. I have the stem tied off so that I can attempt rooting in the spring when new growth begins. If the plant emerges with good new growth on that stem, I hope to send cuttings to Greg Grant to see if he is willing to attempt rooting this sport for me. I hate having to wait until next year, but I believe it will be worth the wait.
    Molly

• shopshops
    9 years ago

I hope you succeed Molly. Indeed the colouring reminds me of my favourite Salvia "hot lips". I have both Pam Puryear and the regular red Turk's cap. A bi-colour would just be awesome. Add me to the cuttings list. I'm willing you to success. I too would join the line to purchase one.
    Best wishes
    Desiree

• lou_spicewood_tx
    6 years ago

Whatever happened to it? Did it come back?

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, the cutting I took of the sport did not root. The plant has done well all of this time, but has never produced another bloom such as that bicolor sport.

Molly

• lou_spicewood_tx
    6 years ago

Bummer. That would have been really popular among us... I just got white ones called White Lightening Turk's Cap bred by Greg Grant to go with red and pink ones in my backyard. It made me remember about your sport and wondered what happened to it since then.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz