Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Karl Foerester struggling?

Posted by jscaldwell Zone 8a/8b, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 14:00

I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully planted Karl Foerester reed grass in Central Texas. Mine has barely made it through the summer (see pic). Does this look like it might bounce back next spring? Any ideas on how to help get it established better? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Karl Foerester struggling?

I can't say I have experience growing that plant so I'm not the best to answer. But I'm curious how long it's been planted?

There's been a lot of times things don't look the greatest the first year especially if they get planted in spring. If it's suited for the area and the sun/shade requirements you might just want to give it time. If one of those aren't true then consider moving it.

Maybe someone with real world experience will chime in with more specifics.

Good luck- Lisa

o

It did not like my yard at all and died, so I have no good advice. They returned one spring and croaked during the summer.

o

pkponder, when did you plant yours (spring or fall)? And how much water did you give 'em? Thanks for the feedback.

o

I planted in spring and they were so pretty! I was watering once or twice a week, more for the lawn than the KF. I think it was too much water. My downfall with ornamental grass is always too much water.

I also live in the DFW area, that's why I didn't reply until someone else bumped the post down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here