Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mla2ofus

Are Lantana berries poisonous??

mla2ofus
15 years ago

I was reading Howard Garretts book 'Plants for Texas' and he said lantana berries were "said to be poisonous". I recently bought some and they do form a berry. How do I find out if they are or aren't poisonous???? I have a small dog that will eat ANYTHING!

Comments (11)

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

The latin name is Lantana horrida because it's smells like gasoline and probably tastes like it too.
    "Seed is poisonous if ingested"
    I suggest kenneling or crateing a dog (when it's not right there with you)that gets "eats everything" especially toxic plants and/or rocks or other inedibles. Some small dogs just need to stay in a confined dog-proof environment. PJ

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Lantana's are not the only poisonous plants to worry about with a dog that eats anything or everything.

So be careful what you plant if your going to try to garden and leave dog outside alone.

We've even had people on here say their dog ate roses, now you'd think the thorns would keep them away but it didn't.

The problems I have with my dogs are running through the gardens breaking plants, then the male peeing on everything so it looks like part of the plant is dying. With my knock out roses I've been cutting them higher so he doesn't get to them but some plants just have to deal with him.

This the only reason I don't want another male dog..Poor boy I know he's only being a dog.

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

If he'll eat anything, definitely look up any plant you get. Artemisia is also known as wormwood; foxglove is digitalis; even things like carolina jessamine and wisteria are poisonous in parts.

What about separating part of the yard to be "his"? It doesn't necessarily have to be an ugly chicken wire dog run. You could put decorative (yet functional) fencing, or a hedge that he couldn't get through to form a "room." That way you could have your plants and not eat them too!

• mla2ofus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your help. I did a google search and found there were several plants I had intended to buy or that I already have that are poisonous. I'm going to fence my shade garden as I found that the caladium, ferns, and philodendrun are bad. The lantana's I'm going to plant in the front yard which is off limits to the dog. I also found out that nandina's are really bad so they are off to the front yard too. I wanted a holly but the berries are bad so I'll substitute something else that is evergreen. I want a nice yard but a safe one for my dogs and small children too. Again, thanks for you help.

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

my dog has rather delicate tendons on his legs. He's a mix of Chow and Australian shepher. He has a chow body with the Aussie desire to cut and dart.

We noticed several years ago that "mo" would stop and eat the tips of lantana plants. Much later, I learned that they were said to be poisonous and might cause paralysis.

I also heard that animals self-medicate with plants.

We allow him to eat the plant tips to this day. He's never even thrown them up. He seems selective and only goes for the tips. I don't know what exactly he's eating, if it includes the berries or just leaves, but he seems to know what he's doing and this is the only plant he does this to.

• sicklittlemoocow
    15 years ago

I will add that many species of palm and lily can be deadly toxic to pets. There's a list on the ASPCA website.

I have to wonder why this information isn't included on the nursery tags at say Lowes or Home Depot...

• mscotty12321
    15 years ago

Mockingbirds love lantana berries.

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

I would not let my dogs eat a plant that I knew was poisonous, but sometimes it happens. One of my dogs would eat my spider lilies when she was younger with no ill effects. Not every animal is affected always the same way by toxic plants. A lot depends on the size of the animal, how much ingested, etc.

Lantana is listed as a toxic class 1, which states: Major Toxicity: These plants may cause serious illness or death. If ingested, immediately call the Poison Control Center or your doctor.

Here is a list of Toxic Plants and the degree of toxicity, known as toxic class.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

My mom had a dopey Afgan hound that ate a mid-sized oleander to the ground. I don't know if it made him more dopey but it didn't kill the dog. You never know with animals and plants. Thank goodness my dogs and kids don't browse my plants! PJ

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

My dog Mo only eats a bit of it an only occasionally. It hasn't been in recent weeks, seemed to eat it more often in the spring. For whatever reason, he never grabbed a big mouthful, only tips. This is a dog that is careful about his food, if I were to toss him a piece of fajita meat wrapped in tortilla with melted cheese, he would carefully unwrap and inspect it.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

Thanks for the list ltcollins,
    I was surprised about Pampas Grass.

Pam