Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Returning Plant Nut (Houston)

Posted by rumbum (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 14:32

Hi everyone! I was on this forum previously but moved out of state for a few years. Now I'm back! I was in Austin and now south of Houston; I'm excited to learn a new gardening region!
In general is the S. Houston region's soil acidic or alkaline? Does anyone have a favorite website or book of native plants for S. Houston?

Happy Gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Returning Plant Nut (Houston)

We are Alkaline East of us in the piney woods area they are acidic. Check with your local extension agent. Not sure what area you are in but when I lived on the coast I found the soil produced better than we have in the Houston area. Try typing in the information you desire and see what turn up for your area. Native plants are a wide range of plants and trees. Also where you want to place them, etc.

Paul

o

Alkaline and if you are in Houston then probably gumbo. The water is really alkaline too.

Check up at Buchanans and some of the other nurseries in the Heights, they have great staff and lots of natives. Off the top of my head Buchanans is the only one I can think of but there are 4 or 5 of them up there. Zone 9 tropicals has their open house this weekend, he has some natives and tons of rare tropicals. He is in the Heights also. Josephs in Pearland carries a fair number of natives, tons of fruit trees and awesome plants at super prices.

As far as books, there are Houston gardening and Gulf Coast gardening books written by gardeners in this area, your library should have copies of them.

Tally Ho!

o

I grew up near Pearland, Tx & now live in the Heights. Buchanan's is an awesome resource but also check out Maas Nursery in Seabrook. Very knowledge nursery and a great adventure to visit! I find listening to Gardenline with Randy Lemmon on AM 740 sat & Sun mornings 6-10 is a great resource as well. Good luck & welcome back to SE Tx!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here