Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlyg_gw

How best to grow Butterfly Magic roses

carlyg
9 years ago

I am in Master Gardener training and today's topic was Earthkind plants. We were given a rose....mine is a Butterfly Magic rose. How best is this grown? I'm not a rose grower at all but sure do want to try? I know it's the wrong time to plant roses but I want to get this beauty in a pot or in the ground.

Thanks for your responses!!

Comments (3)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Carlyg, roses in general love full sun, fertilization once a month, and plenty of water to bloom well.

Butterfly Magic was bred by Dr. Griffin Buck who strove for healthy, easy to grow roses. It should do fine planted now either in a large pot or in the ground. Post a picture for us when it blooms!

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Magic on HelpMeFind ...

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I agree, it should do fine planted now but with any newly planted roses in would make sure it gets watered deeply at least every other day for about a week or 2 so that it can establish a good root system. I planted a Julia Child rose bush in the middle of July and it has flourished with plenty of water. After it starts putting on new growth I would give it a light feeding of some water soluble fertilizer. Earth kind roses are tough so I think you won't have a any problem. Good luck and post pics!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    9 years ago

I looked up planting roses on Chamblee Roses' web site - they have a trial garden and follow EarthKind principles - and found these instructions:

How do I plant my roses?
    Soil amendment is a key ingredient for a successful rose garden. Organic matter improves the quality of the soil and helps the roses to absorb the essential elements and micro-nutrients, which are present in the soil. It is a good idea to have a soil test done to establish the conditions of your beds. In Texas, your local Agriculture Extension Office can assist you with how to collect soil samples and the procedure for having the test performed. Good drainage is also essential to rose health. If you have clay or slow draining soil, a product such as expanded shale should be added to help drainage.

When planting, dig the hole twice as wide and twice as deep as the container. Plant roses the same depth in the soil as they were in the container, except in Northern climates where planting roses below existing soil is recommended for winter protection. Mix the soil you remove from the planting hole 50/50 with well-aged organic matter (i.e. humus, cotton burr compost) and fill the hole back in with the mixture.

Mulch: Top-dress the soil with any remaining compost and mulch well. Three inches of mulch (i.e. cypress, cedar, pine bark, pine straw) is recommended. This will allow for good drainage, aid in water conservation, and help keep weeds out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamblee Roses

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath