Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostedo

Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low' color in north Texas

Does anyone know how the 'Gro-low' cultivar of fragrant sumac (rhus aromatica) performs in north Texas clay? It should grow well, but unsure if it would get any of the yellow/red fall color in this part of the country or just go straight to brown. TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low'

Comments (4)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It sure gets in tin New Mexico. I think it turns on Enchanted rock. I don't know if it is the same as yourcultivar. I am just talking about the wild stuff. I grow it in the shade. I don't think it changes color too much. It might also be the sun factor too.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wantonamara: Thanks for the comments. Does seem fall color is more reliable in the west as most of the comments about poor color change are from other parts of the country. Ours start turning a chlorotic yellow in late August. We planted from 4" pots in early 2012 and last fall they went from sickly yellow-green to dead brown before falling off the plants.

Since starting this thread, the leaves have begun turning a darker yellow a few at a time, but are falling off a day or two after the change. Both those in sun and shade are doing this. The plants are still young and may behave differently as they mature further, but looks like we may not be seeing much of the red shades that 'gro-low' sumac can display elsewhere.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's a 3rd year update: these sumacs have done well in both HEAVY* all-day shade and full shade interrupted by a few hours of direct/reflected summer sunlight. The ones that get some direct light are about 3 ft across, while those in heavy shade are about half that. They were basically twigs when planted in 2012.

(* HEAVY shade = in a pruned alcove under a 6 ft boxwood at the base of a 30 ft Chinese Pistache.)

Color has also improved as they've gotten established. Still none of the solid fall reds seen elsewhere, but reliable yellow with red highlights that seem to be improving with age. Also holds the color longer than the first year. This one gets some sun and has been dropping it's leaves for 2 or 3 weeks:

Color is also good on the smaller heavily shaded alcove plants, so not like Virginia Creeper that often doesn't color well without sun:

Am pretty positive (so far) on this northern cultivar of a native TX species as a hardy and flexible deciduous ground cover for our Blackland Prairie clay. Has continued to look good with little attention or supplemental water in competition with tree roots where many other plants have failed or been devoured by the rabbits. Will prune/remove the cover shrubs this winter for more light to try to accelerate the growth to their eventual ~8 ft width.

• teacup754
    8 years ago

Mine is disappointing as far as fall color. Maybe we are too warm. Mine is in partial shade.

bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw thanked teacup754