Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low' color in north Texas

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 14:38

Does anyone know how the 'Gro-low' cultivar of fragrant sumac (rhus aromatica) performs in north Texas clay? It should grow well, but unsure if it would get any of the yellow/red fall color in this part of the country or just go straight to brown. TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low' color in north Texas

It sure gets in tin New Mexico. I think it turns on Enchanted rock. I don't know if it is the same as yourcultivar. I am just talking about the wild stuff. I grow it in the shade. I don't think it changes color too much. It might also be the sun factor too.

o
RE: Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Low' color in north Texas

wantonamara: Thanks for the comments. Does seem fall color is more reliable in the west as most of the comments about poor color change are from other parts of the country. Ours start turning a chlorotic yellow in late August. We planted from 4" pots in early 2012 and last fall they went from sickly yellow-green to dead brown before falling off the plants.

Since starting this thread, the leaves have begun turning a darker yellow a few at a time, but are falling off a day or two after the change. Both those in sun and shade are doing this. The plants are still young and may behave differently as they mature further, but looks like we may not be seeing much of the red shades that 'gro-low' sumac can display elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here