Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Flowering shrub for shade

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Hi All

The reality police arrived. My row of azaleas is dwindling. I have success with camelias there. But not sure if they will be happy where the recent casualties have been. Too much shade.

I need something for bright shade. A Japanese Maple is happ in front of them and a youpon hedge is behind in neighbor's yard.

Maybe I don't need flowers, but I do need something that would have that nice sort of wide spilling out shape.

In this row so far: In the rear, tall section I have Oak Leaf Hydrangea: Coming forward I have 2 cameliias, a burgundy lorapetalum, wood violets, a few remaing azaleas and in the sunniest spot: a beauty berry.

Any thoughts> I could actually leave the spots bare but as you can tell that isn't my nature....grins

c

Comments (11)

• debndal
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what height you need-Azaleas have lots of sizes. I have Virginia Sweetspire - the dwarf Little Henry, but there is also Henry's Garnet which is larger, as is Merlot. Mine get ONLY a little dappled sun thru a crape myrtle for maybe 3 hours a a day. They are completely shaded for about 1/2 a day by the fence. They might bloom better in a bit more sun, but the fall leaf color is still outstanding - and the fall leaves stay on for quite a long time so you have really nice color for a while. I was wary when I planted because I'd heard they sucker, but I've not had issues with that, maybe because they are in almost complete shade.
    Another thought is coralberry - but they do run on me, so would require some work to keep in bounds. I like the lime green early leaves - very pretty.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debndal you always have fascinating suggestions! I had never heard of this shrub. I looked around online and love Merlot! I think it would look good near the dark leaves of tha camelia and behind the gold autumn leaves of the coral bark JM.

Perhaps Redenta's carries this. Do you remember where you found yours? I haven't bumped into it anywhere. Is yours thirsty? I found that the camelias are happy with less than the azaleas or perhaps they just don't decline fast when they do get too dry.

Thanks again...am open to more suggestions for everyone too.c

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

At the arboretum at Gov. Jim Hogg park, there are a couple of old abelias in the shade of some trees that just bloom their hearts out in the summer. They are maybe 5-6' tall and as wide, with very graceful branches. They didn't have regular supplemental water for most of the summer, maybe once a week.

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

You might also consider Summersweet (Clethra alnifloia). I have 'Hummingbird.' I couldn't decide between it and Little Henry so I did a bake off and got one of each and put them next to each other. They are both supposed to like more acidic, humousy soil, so I was a little worried but they have done fine. I amended a lot with compost and they are on the north side up against the house in a little niche they are in a lot of shade. They do get supplemental water because we water the foundation and neither of them even missed a beat last summer. I would think if Oak leaf hydrangea does OK, they would too, I think it likes similar conditations.

They both bloom very nicely. Summersweet does take a very long time to break dormancy in the spring so some people don't like it for that reason. Both have some fall color as well.

I have coralberry on the north side as well and like it too but it is a very different look than the other two.

If you can't find them locally, I ordered both of them from Sooner plant farm and they were in great shape when they came. I'm sure I probably put them in about this time of year and they settled in just fine and bloomed the first spring.

Teri

• rumbum
    11 years ago

I think it depends how shady it is in this spot. Most plants like some sun to bloom, even if its dappled or a little ray that falls once a day. If it's full shade then one option for a dependable shade plant is Cast Iron Plant. Gingers will also work and can be found with beautiful varigation.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like all the suggestions...that is always my problem!

Cleared out the old azaleas and trimmed up the voluteer tree. Now I have nice morning Sun.

Went to Redentas and Calloways. nothing interesting yet. The latter has some gorgeous camelias from the grower Cam Too. Might end up with those, but I'm waiting to see what else arrives in the next few weeks.

I have little luck with gingers. Have a white butterfly ginger that has not flowered in at least 2 years. Do they get weary? It gets part sun, starts off OK but doesn't really take off any more. I really like the varigated gingers. One year I dug them up and kept them in then replanted, but the second year I left them in ground never to be seen again.
    Thank you all
    c

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I have a canyon creek abelia. It gets some mid morning sun and shade from other plants the rest of the day. I cut the blooms and dry them like hydrangeas.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Kathy, Roselee sent me one rooted from the one she got from you, and I love it. I have it in a large container at the present as I did not know how much sun to put it in. It gets filtered sun and grew and grew and has been blooming since it was a small plant. How long do they bloom???

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I can't say for sure. I really have not paid attention. It seems like it begins in the spring an keeps on until the first cold snap.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I purchased a NOID abelia on clearance a couple of months ago because of its beautifully colored foliage---white with tinges of pink on green. I have been unsure of where to plant it since I am not sure how tall it will get, or how much sun will be required to maintain the colored foliage. I found a spot that is mostly shade and I am placing the abelia in its container there and see how it performs.
    Molly

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I love mock rose. It has a spilling shape and the fragrance is beautiful. I loved my Oak leaf Hydrangea.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor