Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paradisecircus

Do you have any unique gardening/outdoor care practices?

paradisecircus
10 years ago

I'm always curious if anyone does anything unique or creative in their gardening and/or outdoor maintenance. For example, my mom uses her cooking water to water plants. If she boils pasta or vegetables, she'll dump the cooled water in her flower bed. She says there are trace nutrients in the water and it serves her better to dump it in the yard instead of down the sink.

My unusual methods involve my little helper pictured below. Her name is Minnie. She loves to chase the stream of water from the garden hose. I realized she will be a good helper when, later in the month, I need to lightly dethatch and aerate parts my lawn. Had a fungus attack last summer and I've been trying to rehab it. Most of the lawn is fine now but there are still a few dead and bare patches. I realized that Minnie does a good job at loosening up the dead stuff and scratching the surface of the soil when she chases the water from the hose, helping me prepare these patches for seeding I'll be doing later. I also allow her to chase the squirrel that digs up my flower bed, which is helping as well! It's always good to have a little helper :)

Comments (10)

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

I toss veggie "trash" under the shrubby plants. It does not smell and it is supposed to be even better than compost...with none of the obvious hard work.

• paradisecircus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've wondered about that myself. I've chosen not to compost but feel I could get some use out of leftover veggie scraps when I'm cooking and prepping. So I could toss things like potato peels in my flower bed without having to compost them?

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Yes, in fact I was told by an organic gardening guy that it actually can help the plants because it decomposes right there. It was light a green light for me.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Clearing out the thatch by letting Minnie scratch it up is a pretty unique trick! Aren't dogs wonderful?

I'm trying to think of a unique gardening tip to offer, but until I do I'll say that I read about putting your kitchen scrapes in a paper bag and burying it in the garden to compost in place. That works fine, as well as just throwing the scraps under the plants, but I put mine in a gallon size plastic bucket with a lid and every couple of days I dump the contents in a shallow hole dug in garden beds and cover it with soil. If I don't cover it the dogs scatter it around searching for fruit scraps, etc. plus it draws flies and gnats.

The kitchen scaps turn into wonderful dark compost within a couple of weeks. Sometimes I get a surprise plant out of the deal such as the beautiful foliage of a baby Papaya tree.

• paradisecircus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh she loves it! I turn the nozzle to "jet" and everywhere it sprays, she likes to chase the stream. If I do just a quick blast in one spot, she runs to it and scratches at the spot with her paws as if it's some critter that always escapes her!

Well I will DEFINITELY be saving my fresh veggie scraps from now on! I already dump coffee and tea grounds out there. Now that I know full-on composting isn't always necessary, I feel really good knowing the bits of veggies I usually toss can be used to improve my flower beds! I'd love it if something popped up and surprised me like your papaya tree!!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

What are some of the kitchen scrapes you put in the garden?
    I only do banana peels, egg shells and coffee grounds. And coffee grounds not so much since we got a Keurig.

My teas are usually in bags. Do you put bag and all?
    Veggie scrapes, would that be things like the ends cut off of cucumbers, squash, peppers, celery, onion peels?
    I usually just turn a pot upside down over the dumped stuff, so our dog will leave it alone.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I put everything from the vegetable kingdom in the compost bucket, including wet paper towels occasionally. Since I cook all things fresh the peels, ends, etc. adds up to quite a lot. Covering with a pot is a good idea. Sometimes I cover the area with a large pot saucer. I've done tea bags and just tear open one end not being sure what the bags are made of. I think they decompose as I've never found any remains when digging.

I have a compost pile that I put all the plant trimmings in. I used to turn it, water it, fertilize it, etc. but that's work so now I just let it set. It goes down by about a third with each hard rain. After about 3 or 4 years I pull the stuff out from the bottom which has turned to 'black gold'.

Still trying to think of something 'unique' that I do. I've mentioned the crushed ice in the king size pillow slip around my neck on a hot day.. Has anybody else tried it? It sure helps keep me going when I want to get a project done instead of waiting for morning. Also have mentioned opening a Vit/ E capsule and putting the contents on my face if I feel that it's gotten too much sun. Amazingly it takes the heat and burning feeling away. Wearing a hat and sun screen to prevent is better, but there are those few times when I don't.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

When I see fresh dog poop in my yard whilst watering I just power wash it in. Instant fertilizer. The hard, dry stuff gets tossed though. Too gross of an answer?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I do the same as roselee with my vegetable scraps. One unique thing I do, and it wasn't my original idea, is to staple a zip lock bag around the forming apples on my apple tree. I was doubtful when I first read it, but it works to keep critters from taking a bite, or the whole apple, and keeps fungus and most bugs off. I told my mom and she started putting her eggplants in a ziplock to keep the squirrels from taking them.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Lynnmarie, I do the same thing.

Not sure how unique this is but I have a couple of beach umbrellas to shade newly planted plants and/or things that the west sun just gets too much for in August/September. If you can't anchor them in the dirt you can put the end in a five gallon bucket of rocks. I had a slightly larger piece of PVC pipe that the umbrella pole sticks in with a piece of wood to wedge it.