Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short Zinnias question

Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 15:13

I want a few pots of SHORT zinnia's for the patio next year, since the butterflies and hummers like them so much.
All of the ones I currently grow are tall.
Swallowtail seeds offers 5 or 6 kinds that are supposed to be short.
What short ones do you grow that does good and doesn't have to have all day sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short Zinnias question

I like Thumbelina and can usually find them in the BBs. I bought Magellan at Parks this year and very happy with them. bigger flowers, not as dainty. If I were doing pots I'd go with Thumbelina. I went with a variety that I hated from Park's. Apparently they aren't happy in Texas. Big waste of cash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thumbelina

o
RE: Short Zinnias question2

The ones I was very unsuccessful with are Zahara. 6 pkts of seeds and not a flower. Sounds like a name that would like it hot and dry.....NOT!

o

Burpee.com lets you sort zinnias by size. I have (I think) magellans that aren't as short as I wanted, but short enough not to fall over.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee zinnias <12

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 10:34

This is the short ones Swallowtail seeds has.

ZINNIA, EDWARDIAN
MAGELLAN
ZINNIA, PROFUSION
ZINNIA, SHORT STUFF MIX
ZINNIA, ZAHARA
ZINNIA, ZINNITA

So Zahara is out. I did plant seeds of those one year and didn't get a lot of flowers.
I bought Short Stuff plants one year for pots and again didn't get a lot of flowers.
Sometimes the Profusion does really good if I get them in the right spot with enough sun.
I will try the Thumbelina and Megellan.

I haven't tried Zinnita or Edwardian.

Oh, and they also have the Swizzle series and the Dreamland series. I haven't tried either.

This post was edited by ruthz on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 10:46

o

Ruth, I have the Profusion seed should you decide on them. They are pastels, but a beautiful little zinnia. You can email me if you want some seed.

o

I planted Dreamland from nursery transplants. they are gorgeous but died quickly, likely from fungus. BTW U can send you some Thumbelina seed heads. Right now I might even be able to select a color if you don't like mixed. They are mostly pink and yellow and white. I'll cut the seed heads off soon. c

o

Ruthz, I planted the Swizzle Cherry and Ivory from nursery transplants this year. They stayed under 18" tall, and have extremely long lasting blooms that change colors as they age. They're pretty cool.

o

I love that look, looks [[[[[cool]]]]even in the heat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here