Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help picking trees/shrubs for fence line

Posted by miken Z8 DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 15:17

Okay... not terribly knowledgeable and looking for some help.

We have a fence, but back to a fairly busy street. Our yard is fairly small (depth) so I'm looking for something that won't grow (or is easily trimmed down) too deep. Ideally, something that I can keep 6' to 12' tall and will allow me to line our fence line, but also stay around 3' deep or so.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help picking trees/shrubs for fence line

Are you just looking for something to hide the fence? Or are you trying to mask traffic noise?

You might be happier with vines. Something like confederate jasmine, which is evergreen, fast growing & very easy . . . maybe with just one or two small trees?

Then the trees (or large shrubs) could be limbed up if you want to keep the bulk of their foliage overhead. Wax myrtle, Crape myrtle, Vitex and Texas mountain laurel (slow growing) are all nice.

If you do go with a row of trees/shrubs, I recommend not using just one species.

o

Looking for noise block as much as anything. Interesting recommendation on not using just one species of tree/shrub.

o

Should have said . . . partly because it makes a more interesting shrub row (and you can have stuff that blooms at different times if you want) but more importantly, if one species gets wiped out from a disease, you haven't lost everything.

o

Treelover makes a good recommendation. The mixed row of shrubs or hedges is something I see recommended and used more and more. It really makes sense.

o

Confederate Jamine will get as thick as a shrub and the evergreen factor is a definite plus
The last couple of years I have really fallen in love with the flowering sennas, they are tough as all get out.
I don't know if they would be evergreen or semi up there but they don't get that tall to begin with easy to prune, in fact you can be brutal with the pruning and they love you more for it, lol
They are grown as trees and or shrubs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here