Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Devoted my week to feeding hummingbirds

honeybunny2 Fox
13 years ago

I finally got to stay at the coast and enjoy the hummingbirds. It was a job keeping the feeders full. I used 5 lbs of sugar a day. I really did enjoy watching them, it was worth the effort. I had a special guest this year, a white hummingbird. she stayed all week, I named her Angel. Barbra

Comments (18)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Wow! What fun. Neat about having the white hummingbird visit you.

Five pounds a day! Another "Wow" and a BIG "Thank you". Imagine how many flowers they would have to visit to make that up.

Recently I've seen quite a few in my yard too -- on their way south no doubt.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Barbra,
    Did you get a picture of the white bird?
    I'll bet it was pretty.
    Maybe I can feed them too next year.

pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prince Albert, I kept waiting for your phone call? She was there all week. I did not even know they were rare until Linda told me. She came down just to see her. She then came back the next day, and took a few pictures. Maybe she will post a picture of Angel. My crappy camera doesn't do her justice. Barbra.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Barbara,
    I came on back to Belton that night.
    I will send a regular e-mail on the hubbys addy for an update.
    pa

• melvalena
    13 years ago

Thank you for looking after all those hummers! I still have a few up here loading up for the trip.

Your reward for looking after those precious birds was having the white one hang around.

I hope to see the photos when they get put up on the site.

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

I will get some pictures of her up on the Texas Gardening forum very soon. I've just been staying so busy working on taxes. OH BOY! So much fund, . . .opps I meant fun. Nothing like funding! LOL!

Anyway the white hummer that Barbar has/had at her house is/was (I don't know if it is still there.) a LEUCISTIC HUMMINGBIRD and not an ALBINO HUMMINGBIRD. They are both white but with some major differences besides being white. Check out this website for information about white hummingbirds.

I will get it posted soon!

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

"A true albino hummingbird, one that has white feathers and pink eyes, feet, and bill, is extremely rare.

Leucistic hummingbirds are still rare but are seen more often than true albinos. Like "normal" hummingbirds, lecistic forms have black eyes, feet, and bills, but their feathers may be pure white, buffy, tan, or gray instead of green or some other "normal" color."

Having been feeding hummers for 22 years down here, I really do believe that this is or at least has been one of the heaviest fall migrations that we have ever seen. And and they are still coming through. I still have 10 feeders out that are being used all day long. So far, I've lost count on the sugar, but I think that it is around 50 pounds for the month of September.

• melvalena
    13 years ago

Such a huge fall migration should be good news for us come spring! (right?)

This year's reports from all over talked about how sparse the spring migration and summer lay overs were.

I know I didn't see any here at my house for most of the summer, and haven't seen one since the cool front moved in over the weekend. But I'm keeping the feeders going until end of Oct just to be sure.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, I can't wait to see the pictures of her. The last time I saw her was Friday morning. I think I scared her when I cut the grass Friday after the first shower. I was afraid the water moccasin I saw in the yard would bite one of my dogs. The snake was coiled with its head in the middle, and there was no way to kill it with just a shovel. I had to leave it in the yard, so I wanted the grass short. I never saw the white hummingbird after I cut the grass. I left Saturday at 8am, after I refilled all the hummingbird feeders. Barbra

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

OK, do you want me to go down and fill the feeders tomorrow? Are they still out? Do you want me to take down some of my feeders with solution?

Did you see the moccasin AGAIN?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, those feeders were empty by the end of Saturday. I was having to fill them at least twice a day toward the end. I am sure the hummingbirds have moved on. I think they will be at Jack's house just down the road. He has twice as many feeders as I did. His are on the edge of his covered patio in the middle of his backyard. I have the advantage of having the state property next to me, but he has a better place for them, kinda like your place. I will clean, and refill the feeders when I get down this Friday. Is the master gardeners plant sale still on for this weekend? Will they have the plumeria cuttings again, I sure hope so. I think mine may have rotted, they were sitting in water for days. Barbra

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

OK Barbra. Yes, most of the hummers have moved on. I see only about 4 or 5 at my feeders out back. The MG plant sale is this Saturday, October 2 from 9:00 until 1:00. Tell Gary that I have some really nice herbs. And no plumerias for sale this time of year. They will have some for the spring plant sale. See you this weekend! Linda

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

My camera isn't all that good either. Here is one picture that I posted on Photobucket.

• melvalena
    13 years ago

That's plenty good enough for me! :) I've never seen a white one before.
    Hubby said he saw 3 hummers on one of our feeders back in Aug. I've never seen that either. :(

Thanks for posting the picture.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pics linda
    pa

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

You are welcome! I was so excited when Barbra came by and "mentioned" that she had a white hummer! I just about died! I said are you sure, and she said yes. I immediately got in my car and drove down to her house, about a mile from me. OMG, when I saw it, I got so excited. I've been a hummingbird birder since 1988 and this was the first leucistic for me! Thanks Barbra!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, we went down yesterday, and there are only 3 hummingbirds, it was sad. I guess they have moved on. Since I am retired, this was the first year I got to see them. I didn't know the white one was rare, until you told me. The lady from Huntsville said she would email pictures, but did not. Next year, I will only let folks from The Gardening in Texas forum come to see the hummingbirds at my house. I hope the white one comes back. I already told Gary I want binoculars for Christmas. Barbra

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

Binoculars are good. Terry got me a good pair one year for my birthday. Are you still here or did you go back? I didn't see you at the plant sale, BUT . . . they are having another plant sale next week at reduced prices with the exception of the herbs. Go by and check it out because they still have a bunch of nice looking plants.