Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gray and White Worms

Posted by sam_mcgowan Z9 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 10 at 15:53

I just found some odd-looking gray and white worms on some shoots off of a lemon tree stump. They are feeding on the leaves. I found a similar one some time ago on a small lemon tree that I purchased earlier. That one kept coming back after I'd knock it off until I finally killed it. The are about the size of caterpillars, mostly gray with white patches on them. Any ideas from anyone on what they are?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gray and White Worms

They are the zebra butterfly caterpillars. They eat a lot of leaves, but they don't harm the tree. They really stink if you touch them too. Cheryl

o
Gray/White Worm

Oops! My mistake, not the zebra, it's the black and yellow swallowtail. Cheryl

o

I went back and found that one had gotten back on the leaves of the lemon tree. Actually, I'm not so sure it's not a slug rather than a caterpillar. It's about 2 inches or so long and the coloring is actually sort of mottled, with dark gray, light gray and some light brown. The only places I've seen them are on lemon leaves.

o

Giant swallowtail caterpillars look different at various times. At one stage they are brown/gray and with their shape they do look sort of slug like. They also look like a bird dropping to fool predaters.

Here's a picture I took of one on my Satsuma citrus. If it looks anything like this Cheryl is right.

If so -- lucky you! They make beautiful large butterflies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant swallowtail life cycle ...

o

That is one ugly caterpillar!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here