Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmeggie

Lush but Xeric in Dallas

txmeggie
14 years ago

Heres a report on my experience putting in a VERY low water use landscape just south of Dallas some 4 years ago. I have mostly sun, just a few trees, plenty of shrubs and extensive perennial flowers. I learned the hard way that no matter how drought tolerant a plant is, it really needs to stay moistened the first year or so. I used the native heavy clay soil, but had compost tilled in and I sprinkle dry molasses and often more compost when I plant. Where plants are established, I almost never water! Even my lawn is buffalo grass, which doesnÂt need much water. My garden looks great in the spring, gets crispy in late summer, then revives in the fall.

First, the trees:

We left the native mesquites and cedar junipers. I lined the driveway with Natchez crape myrtles which are beautiful here. Our chitalpa trees have pale pink and white flowers all summer long, and have grown quickly. Eastern redbud and forest pansy redbud are doing well. Yaupon holly is growing slowly. Dwarf sabal palm is making it but I lose several leaf fans every year. Rattlesnake tree is really a large shrub that is also called scarlet wisteria because of its similar leaves and red-orange flowers. Purple smoke tree, another shrub-lie tree, is growing quickly from a small "stick" bought online. Italian stone pine is the one evergreen reputed to grow well in our soil and climate. Find them at Christmas as tabletop decorations and plant it for future generations, as it grows quite slowly but will become an impressive tree. I have corkscrew willow that have grown fast, but they get runoff from my neighborÂs drainage problem.

Next, the shrubs and large perennials:

Chinese photinia, spirea, yaupon holly, variegated privet (careful; this gets huge), myospernum, wax myrtle, Texas bird of paradise, winter honeysuckle (blooms in January), Leatherleaf mahonia, have all done well. Old garden roses have grown wonderfully once theyÂre established. They can get sorry looking in the middle of summer without water, but will be fine once the rain comes again. I love Jerusalem sage with its bright yellow flowers in spring and soft gray green leaves all year round. Hypericum also has pretty yellow flowers and arching branches. Agave is great but it sends out underground shoots as much as 4Â away that produce baby plants. IÂve had great success cutting these off and planting elsewhere; they need very little water. Red yucca is a favorite but it needs plenty of room. Even the flower stalks can get 10Â high and droop over paths and driveway. Hummingbirds love it! Ornamental grasses do well; I have miscanthus and Mexican feather grass. Dwarf burford holly is growing slowly with little water, but it will get large. Hummingbird bush (flame ascanthus) is getting larger than I expected. Lantana is a favorite of mine and of the butterflies. Silver germander is a new addition that looks like it will be successful. Redwing vine can be pruned into a bush and gets small yellow flowers next to reddish leaves next to the green leaves. Cardoon is interesting because of its huge leaves and thistle-like blue flowers. Although it dies down after blooming, it keeps returning.

I like my rosemary bushes, but several have developed dead branches in the center. Some butterfly bushes have done great; others didnÂt make it. The beautyberry that survived is a very slow grower. Forsythia has looked in danger of dying from drought, but has grown fast (from a 12" stick bought on eBay) and look great in spring.

Smaller perennials:

Autumn joy sedum has a big presence with its fleshy leaves and large seed heads. I have divided it, but also broken off stems in fall that have flopped over with roots attached, and planted those. Achillea or yarrow grows and spreads well. Bearded iris are very tough and beautiful, but need to be divided every few years. Zexsmania blooms until frost and spreads like crazy from seeds. Day lilies do well, even if they brown up in the late summer heat. Salvia greggi, salvia nemerosa, salvia May night, mealy blue sage, Mexican bush sage, and Russian sage are doing great. LambÂs ear spreads easily, although its leaves rot during drought but still come back the next year. John Fanick phlox is gorgeous, but other varieties have not made it. I grow cannas because I love the colorful flowers. They need water to bloom, so only look good for me in the spring. Giant spider lily has awesome strap shaped leaves and interesting spider like blooms. Mexican mint marigold has pretty yellow blooms in autumn. Snakeherb has made a ground cover that I really like with its dark foliage and lavender flowers. Powis castle artemisia makes a large plant with silver leaves. My daffodils keep coming back. Fortnight lily is happy here. Pink skullcap is growing well but the purple skullcap did not make it.

I have tried many other plants said to tolerate drought, that didnÂt make it at all in my xeric landscape, or are not doing well enough to recommend.

Comments (19)

• treelover
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All this is really interesting to me, meggie. I have a lot of what you've listed (with similar results) and plan to look into the rest.

A few exceptions: Autumn joy sedum just sulks for me; I've tried it in several places. Daffodils didn't grow, and my big bed of Russian sage looks pathetic--but it's only been in a couple of years.

Have you tried bulbine or California poppies? Russelia equisetiformis (firecracker plant)? Or, Duranta repens? I've had good luck with all those, too. Also lavender, but that must have good drainage.

What does the dry molasses do?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

What a wonderful report of what has done well for you!

Lots of good ideas here. We'd love to see pictures too!

Thank you!

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Thank you for a lot of useful info. That's the direction we are taking our yard. Pictures would be great. The only pictures I have are "before" shots. Someday I hope to reveal the "after" version.

• txmeggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The dry molasses provides 'food' for the microorganisms in the soil and compost so they multiply and help improve the soil.
    No, treelover, I have not tried the plants you mentioned. I will definitely look into them.
    I will find some good pictures and post them when I can.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Wow, that is one magnificent transformation! It even looks great in winter.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and your experiences with us. It is encouraging to me because after a year of reworking our yard, some areas actually look worse than they did in the before pictures. It really is a long term project.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Wow!!! Lovely, lovely, lovely! What a wonderful Texas landscape! Thank you so much for the pictures!

Lots of exclamation points and all deserved :-)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

What a beautiful Texas garden! You did a great job of choosing and arranging the plants!

Pam

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

I love that, thanks for posting the pics and info

• texasflip
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting your beautiful project, meggie! I'm working on a landscape for my grandparents' house in Lewisville at the moment. They don't take care of their landscaping so drought tolerance is important, and using natives is always a plus. It's been tough because their front yard is a northern exposure and up against the house under the awning, it gets no sun and away from the house it gets shade all day except for a blast of mid-day sun.

Do you happen to have any spots in your yard that get that kind of exposure? What plants have worked there?

• txmeggie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SHADE: My acre lot is almost all sun. I have had little luck finding shade plants that don't need watering. I recommend cast iron plant, but it gets fairly tall. I am now trying English ivy, which has worked for one year.

Garlic chives is an amazing plant for everyone to consider. It stays evergreen, and spreads and seeds itself. I am using it as an edging and this year planted it in partial shade successfully, just using divisions from small plants I bought a year or two ago that filled in rapidly. I expect you can grow it from seed too.

• User
    14 years ago

Wow, that is fantastic! Of all you have planted, what is your favorite?

• texasflip
    14 years ago

Cool, thanks. Just to share my list of shade plants in case it might interest you, I've got turk's cap, holly fern, dwarf wax myrtle, and beautyberry in the shadier areas so far. I've even seen soft-leaf yucca (Y. recurvifolia) growing pretty well in mostly shade so I might try that.

• treelover
    14 years ago

I've never thought of using garlic chives as an ornamental but you're right, txmeggie, that it's not demanding at all. Mine bloomed for the first time this year, so I'm hoping it will seed itself around.

Your gardens are beautiful! I'll bet you'd like Piet Oudolf's gardens. Someone on another forum told me about him recently.

• annnorthtexas
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

• jellycat
    14 years ago

Wow! That is amazing and beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

• equinecpa
    14 years ago

Wow! What a wonderful job as pretty in the winter as in the summer...kudos to you!

What are the blue plants in the wrought iron fenced area? And the purple leaved shrub/tree?

• FireCode
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to bump such an old thread but what is the shrub/tree in the 5th picture with the purple shoots?

• chezron
    7 years ago

What a lovely landscape you have Meg! Thank you for sharing your photos. So incredible compared to the before photo! Congratulations and thank you for the hard work! It definitely paid off! Woo Hoo!