Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Potato Disaster!

Posted by BanTami Texas 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 16:45

This was my first time planting sweet potatoes and I put in 17 slips. I pulled five and there is NOTHING there! No potatoes!!

I had GREAT looking vines, a few flea beetles but nothing bad...what did I do wrong??

I have them in raised beds and used chicken manure for fertilizer. Too much nitrogen??

...really disappointing since I babied them through the drought this summer. Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm east of Austin in Bastrop County 8b.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Potato Disaster!

I heard that harvest is for around November. It is my first time too. I hope I get some. I am in Travis , west of Austin. I asked the people at the Natural gardener and they said harvest is in November. The vines are taking over my garden. I hope they are better than compost.

o

Too much nitrogen, as you said, might also be the culprit. Chicken manure is really high in nitrogen if I'm not mistaken.

You could always do what my grandma does....pick the young, clean-looking leaves and cook them like spinach. Better than harvesting nothing I guess lol.

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 23:16

Texasflip must be right because I had voles and they kept munching on the new growth.

Omar

o

I harvested the last week of October last year. Will probably wait a week or two more this year since I got them in late. I bet you pulled too early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here