Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Jasmine and Bermuda Grass

Posted by linccampbell 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 16:47

So like so many in North Texas, I have a Bermuda grass lawn.

There is a large area I am thinking of planting with Asian Jasmine. Prior to doing so I would usea sod cutter to remove the grass, spray enough Round Up to drive Monsanto's stock $0.10 higher even though they are evil bastards, lay a double layer of landscaping fabric and do any number of rituals to try ot keep the remaining grass roots from doing much damage fast.

The question is, once the Asian Jasmine takes root and really begins to do its thing in spreading, will it crowd out the Bermuda grass that survived the vegecide and eventually grows and pierces through the weed barrier of landscape fabric? Or will Bermuda just do what it does and eventually take over the Asian Jasmine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Jasmine and Bermuda Grass

Bermuda will grow up through Asian Jasmine eventually unless it's really thick. You could use roofing paper instead of landscape fabric and that would be stronger. If you can wait a while after you turn up the Bermuda and spray it, you can see if it comes back and attack what's left a second time.

o
RE: Asian Jasmine and Bermuda Grass

I spray my Asian Jasmine with RoundUp and it shows no ill effects. As long as you don't have new and tender leaves, the RoundUp doesn't do much to Asian Jasmine. I'd let the Asian Jasmine get well established and then spot spray any Bermuda that sprouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here