Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What figs do you love?

Posted by water0125 Fort Worth (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 17:11

I am planning to purchase some more figs for my yard. I have a rooted cutting from a neighbor's tree that yielded great figs. I bought a brown turkey several years ago (for our previous house), but didn't like the flavor very much -- might have been the lack of sun in that location.

Anyway, I want to buy some more varieties, b/c I LOVE figs. I bought a lattarula and a peters honey fig last year, so I haven't gotten any fruits yet. I love the panache at the grocery store, so was thinking about getting one. Was curious what varieties have performed best for those in our area?

Thanks!
--Natalie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What figs do you love?

If you don't have one already Celeste is very good. It is excellent for preserves as well as fresh eating. Celeste is very common and is one of the most cold hardy as figs go.

Others I have grown and like are Sals Corelone, Mission NL, Petite Negra, Violette De Bordeaux and Hardy Chicago.

o

I have a Celeste that grows very fast and has a nice sweet "figgy" flavor. My Brown Turkey has not produced yet and grows much more slowly.

o

Natalie,
I noticed on Friday that Lowe's in Southlake has fig trees for half price now!
Robin

o

I just bought a Celeste. For those that have grown them, how much sun did they get? I thought they were a full sun tree, but the tag says 3-6 hours. Surely that can't be right? What's the ideal spot?

o

I love my Celeste. All the figs around here are full sun for at least half the day. Has anyone had any luck with three to six hours of sun a day?

o

Mine are all in full sun.

o

Carrie, full sun with how much water?

o

I use a slow drip once a week during the hot summer months. It ALL soaks in as I do this overnight.

o

I have one called a Native fig....It is new as of last spring, so still a baby. Got to eat 1..was very sweet, mild flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here