Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Pink Pentapete Picture ....

Pink pentapete picture -- try saying that fast five times ... LOL!

Anyway since I mentioned having been sent seeds of the pink variety I wanted to show you all photos of the first blooms. They are a very pretty peachy pink color and have a nice color pattern. The foliage, which is one of the nicest features of the plant, is light green. Flowers last but a day, but there are more buds to open to continue the blooming for several weeks.

I just wish I would have made note of the email of the person who sent them to me so I could thank them.

Of course I'll be saving seeds to pass around :-)

Comments (16)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Very pretty, looks a lot like a hibiscus or mallow type flower.

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

That's really pretty, Roselee. Although I have had the scarlet for a few years, I didn't realize there was pink pentapete. What conditions are yours planted in...moisture, sun, soil? I've seen photos of your scarlet pentapete and they are so much healthier and prettier than mine have ever been.
    Molly

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley, thanks. You're right, it's a member of the mallow family.

Molly, this and the pink one are growing in full sun in pots with rich rose soil. This Scarlet pentapete volunteered in a large container that I had prepared for a couple of roses. One of them didn't make it so I let the little Pentapete that came up grow in it's place. By that time it was very hot and I was thinking it would help shade the remaining rose. However, I sure didn't expect it to get 5 ft. tall and almost as wide.

So I'd say Pentapetes enjoy a fair amount of water which is not surprising since it grows as a weed in rice fields in China. If dry it wilts in the 110 degree afternoons, but the leaves don't crisp.

We had a nice little half inch shower this afternoon so I took the camera out and took a couple of pictures. Notice the rare rain drops on the leaves and petals ...

I planted some seeds in one of my next door neighbor's flower bed which she seldom if ever waters. The one plant that made it this far is all of about 6 inches tall, but it's alive.

So I'd say it loves rich soil, water, and full sun, but will live under lesser conditions. Another Pentapete plant that gets only morning sun is 5 ft tall and maybe 16 in. wide.

I really enjoy this plant. I'm planning to use it as the tall 'thriller' accent in some of my large pots next year.

Anyone know if deer will eat it? I'm thinking of wheeling the Scarlet Pentapete in the smaller pot out front to find out.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Beautiful plant. Does it make seed readily or is it grown from root s, or cuttings?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mara, it readily makes seeds that look like Pavonia 'Texas rock rose' seeds. I'd be happy to send seeds to anyone that wants them. I don't know if I'll have enough seeds of the pink one to send out this year since it is a small plant having not been planted until late summer. I'll have plenty from the Scarlet. Email me through my page.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Both of them are gorgeous! It reminds me of really pretty Okra (mallow too).

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Thanks for the post, yes they both are beautiful. I see they do require plenty of room to grow. I may have to hunt for the room to plant the seeds I have been given.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

These are gorgeous! What a fascinating combination of leaf and flower. I'll bet they don't grow up here in zone 7B do they.....sigh....
    c

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cynthia, I'm happy to report that they'll grow in your part of Texas :-) One of their claims to fame is that Thomas Jefferson grew Scarlet Pentapetes in his flower garden at Monticello. They are annuals.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Where can you buy pentapete seeds? I have never heard of this one and would like to try it.
    Thanks......Judith

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I grow them, Cynthia, and glad to report that for the past couple of years, they have reseeded for me.......

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have some seeds to pass along. Contact me through my page if you want some.

• lavernialadybug
    11 years ago

Rosalee - seeds, please! I love starting things from seeds and my sweet hubby just bought me a heat/grow mat! I'm starting seeds from the chocolate cherry tomato and sungold cherry tomato this next week. I can send seeds from either of those in exchange. Also have seeds from the double purple angeltrumpet (datura).

• HU-741519528
    last year

I have red, can I get pink

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    last year

I no longer grow it. I I hI hoI hopI hopeI hope someoneI hope someone elseI hope someone else does.I hope someone else does andI hope someone else does and canI hope someone else does and can supply yoI hope someone else does and can supply youI hope someone else does and can supply you withI hope someone else does and can supply you with seeds.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    last year

I was never very successful at my attempt. I had them one year and then they did not come back due to lack of water.