Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Please

Posted by midnightbirdgirl Zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 17:17

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me ID these volunteers in my front planter.
Both of these popped up early summer, and are really the only green things in my yard, so I left them. With stage 4 water restrictions, we cannot water anything but our foundations, and then only every 5 days!! The bottom one has flowers that only open up at night.
Thank you,
MBG

Okay so here they are:
Tree:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Plant:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Please

I'd guess the first one is a globe willow, and the other one is a datura. Maybe someone else can say for sure.
Jim

o

Thank you!!
So, the plant is deadly...glad I do not have any little one around! It sure is pretty though!

I love the tree, and I think you might be right on that one too!

The tree can get to 70ft,from what I just read, it planted itself way to close to the house! Any idea on how and when to move it?
MBG

o

MBG,
The datura won't hurt you unless you eat it. I have 3 different varites. The tripple yellow is very pretty.
pa

o

We had a globe willow for about 15 years (planted intentionally) and it made a nice quick shade tree while the oak was growing up, but it is the ultimate trash tree. Bugs galore, rained aphid poop constantly in summer, little twigs fall in the winter and there is alot to clean up with this tree. It was pretty for about 10 years, but then it started to decline and looked trashy after that. I was so glad when it died! They are short lived, and I would not plant again. If it were in my yard that close to the house I'd cut it down and go find a quality tree to plant elsewhere in the yard.

o

Willow tree roots will also search out your water pipes. They love their water and look for it aggressively. I would not like the tree myself especially looking at the way we suffer from droughts.

o

Yes.Willow trees are illegal in Nevada and Utah because they brake the water pipes.

Omar

o

Well, Darn!! I like the look of it. I was thinking I got lucky and was going to move it. We have over an acre, and I was going to put it kind of in the back of our lot, where there are no pipes. So, I should just yank it, and toss it? Darn!!
:-(
MBG

o

:D I think so... see link below.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here