Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

average first frost date

liz_h
15 years ago

Does anyone know the average first frost date for the Dallas area?

TIA, Liz

Comments (7)

• shebear
    15 years ago

I think it's considered about mid November....that's what I use but outside of the metroplex and away from all the pollution and concrete it could be a week or two earlier. Fort Worth might be a week earlier. They seem to get the nasty weather first most of the time. (except when there's something going on in the gulf)

Most of the time we get a short freeze that kills all the tender plants and then it doesn't really freeze for another month......go figure.

All that said and done, I'm hearing this year could be a cold one. I'm making a small cold frame to test a few ideas I have. I'd be interested in hearing how things go in your location this winter. I'm over in Plano.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

I looked up this site and believe it to be the best to go by. Scroll down and you'll see where it say's first frost date can be anywhere from Oct. 30th to Nov. 30th they left plenty of room there LOL but it is true.

Here is a link that might be useful: hardiness map / frost date

• liz_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in Flower Mound, back in the woods. I think the trees keep us a bit cooler in the summer, but I've no idea what effect they have in the winter - we're certainly away from the concrete heat sink. I'll be glad to chat about the winter weather.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Seriously, it's always a SURPRISE here. We had a freak spring freeze near Easter this year heck and gone from the last frost date!
    PJ

• suze9
    15 years ago

Mid Nov sounds about right for a general guideline for the metroplex, just based on my memory from when I used to live in Ft Worth. But sometimes that date can come earlier or later. I recall earlier frosts, and I also recall a yr or two where the first frost wasn't until some time in Dec. If you want to see actual historical frost dates for your area, National Weather Service is a great resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: F6 climate data

• freshair2townsquare
    15 years ago

liz ~
    we're in coppell - all the harsher winter weather that hits wichita falls and decatur seems to peter out at a diagonal line just a little northwest of us - that's really close to you, and i don't know whether you're above or below that line - but if you're above that line, you'll get frost a week or so before us
    ~ amy

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

First and last frost dates and days in growing season:

Amarillo TX 197 Apr. 14 Oct. 29
    Denton TX 231 Mar. 25 Nov. 12