Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kachana_gw

Who is growing Rangoon Creeper in DFW?

Kachana
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm a regular lurker here, and this is my first post.

Someone posted pictures of Rangoon Creeper in Adenium forum, and I'm in love! Based on my quick research, it is hardy to zone 9. Having said that, has anyone in the DFW area successfully grown this vine? I wonder if it dies back in the winter and grows back in the spring for us?

Thanks for any input you have,

Kachana

Comments (30)

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I have one in a pot that I grew from seeds a few years ago.
    No flowers yet. It does die back in winter. I cut it back and put it in my makeshift greenhouse the first winter. Last winter I just covered it and thought it had died, but it eventually came back.
    I've seen them for sale at Marshall's Grain the past couple of years, so someone must be buying and growing them.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruthz,

Thanks for your response. Sounds like I should give it a go. I'm going to order some seeds. Do you have tips for germinating them?

Thanks,

Kachana

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I would try posting on the seed forum to see if someone has some seeds to share. That's where I got mine.
    My seeds germinated with no problem from winter sowing.
    Or you could try rooting cuttings.
    I'll be cutting mine back in late November.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm new to gardening, and do not have anything to trade except for a few common flower seeds that I bought from Ebay. I hesitate to trade those since I just found out what I bought as hollyhock seeds grew to be sunflowers!

Where are you in DFW? I'm in Carrollton, and if you don't mind and you're not too far away, I would love some cuttings when that time comes.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Ruthz. I do appreciate it. Please let me know when that time comes :)

Kachana

• abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

Good info! I saw this plant at Lowes this summer and loved it but alas it was about $60 and I didn't want to put that in a plant I knew nothing about. Several weeks ago I was checking the clearance rack and there it was :-) so I'm trying it for the first time.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

ruthz, I would love to have some cuttings too, if you have them to spare. Mostly I raise antique roses, will be taking cuttings later this Fall, and will be taking cuttings of Texas Kidneywood Tree for the first time, you can email me if interested.

Kachana, I live in Carrollton, too, and if you're interested in rose cuttings or the kidneywood, email me!
    ogrose

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Abarbie... Did you see that Rangoon at a Lowes near San Antonio? We saw them at our Lowes for $60, too, and didn't want to pay that much. It had the prettiest red blooms. We later found one at Rainbow Nursery for much cheaper and bought that one. The blooms are white to pink but never did turn red. I'm wondering if Lowes still has them in stock. We would love to get one that turns red. It was so sweet smelling, too. The one we got at Rainbow has done really well for us and has spread quickly.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Interesting. Here's the description @ Almost Eden.

"Clusters of fragrant white pendulous trumpets open white then change to pink, red and finally a deep maroon. A vigorous twining climber blooming profusely throughout summer"

There are also single and double Rangoon Creeper.
    I believe mine is a single.
    ogrose, sent you an email.

This post was edited by ruthz on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 9:19

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Rangoon creeper is a wonderful tropical looking vine with beautiful healthy leaves which no disease or insect ever bothers. I've had it for years here in San Antonio, but it has never bloomed "profusely through the summer"; only in October/November. It dies to the ground with the first freeze.

It was getting 4/ 5 hours of sun a day so thinking it needed more sun I moved it last winter to where after midmorning it gets bright sun until the sun sets, even more sun than I anticipated after the big tree came down. It grew fast, but hasn't yet bloomed.

Also it came back up in the old location from roots left behind and it hasn't bloomed there yet either. So I dunno'. I give it a couple of 2 year fertilizer tabs every year. Maybe to bloom all summer it needs lean soil with no fertilizer. Anybody know? Or maybe it is the variety. It was purchased at Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham for $24 which was the most I'd ever paid for a plant at the time. By the way, for such lush foliage it is amazingly drought tolerant.

That's it in the center growing up into the trees. I still like it whether it blooms all summer or not. The flowers are wonderful when they occur.

This doesn't answer the original poster's question, but that's my experience with Rangoon creeper.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roselee - Wow, beautiful garden! I also love your fairy duster you shared earlier. It's on my list to research also. Thanks for sharing your experience with this vine.
    Ogrose - Thanks for the offer. I'm definitely interested. Will shoot you an email.

• abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

sunnysa,

I found it at a Lowes North of Dallas.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Abarbie... Thanks for the info.

Roselee, Love your Rangoon photo. I had no idea it would grow so tall. Yikes!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

ogrose, email address didn't work.
    I just wanted to let you know I should have plenty of cuttings to share.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Sunny Irene, if it doesn't have something tall to climb on it just makes a big mound. That's how it does in the original location where the trellis is about 5 ft tall. You can sort of throw the long branches back to the trellis. One of the neatest things about it is the leaves always look fresh.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

ruthz, I emailed you separately, did you get that email? Anyway, thanks for your kind offer, will take you up on it. Kachana will have my address when the time comes!
    ogrose

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Roselee, how did you know that I was thinking of my little trellis, lol? I thought, oh no... It's already reached the top of the trellis. What do I do now? Pull it out and plant it elsewhere? So.. your reply is a relief. Here's a pic of the top of the trellis. It's filled already.

I really love your Rangoon. It's a beauty! Thanks.

Kachana, please let us know how your Rangoon progresses when you get one. We love pics!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

ogrose, I did get your email.
    Not sure why it doesn't work for me.
    I tried to use that address a couple of times and get this message

Invalid Address îÂÂ

This is an invalid email address:

xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.net. (I blanked out actual address)

Please use an email address that looks like user@example.com or a nickname or a distribution list name from your att.net contacts.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Blackdove, thanks for the link on how to propagate Rangoon Creepers. My experience is similar as I had it return from pieces of root on two different occasions after having been dug out and moved.

• Kachana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, blackdove, for the info. I also read elsewhere about the difficulty of rooting Rangoon Creeper from cuttings.

Ruthz: Let's forget about the cuttings for now. Maybe I'll search for seeds or wait for yours to make seeds :) Thanks for the offer, and it was really nice to meet you yesterday.

Kachana

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

This is a interesting thread. I have the double rangoon creeper here in NE FL zone 9a. It is listed as a 10b tropical. Mine has also returned from the roots in my zone. The first time when I got it , I was growing it in a pot. In the winter, I pulled up the pot to put into my greenhouse and the rangoon's roots had grown into the ground. When spring came, the roots returned where the pot originally was. I've had it about 5 yrs now and I have several plants now and they reliably return from the ground. We can get down into the upper teens here once in a while during the winter but the day temps are usually 50-60's.
    ~SJN

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing that info. Next year I'll put mine in a different pot to see if I can get the roots to grow out the bottom. The pot it's in now has one small hole in the center.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Ruth, if you want another plant an experiment you might try is upending the pot to expose the roots and then slicing off a couple of inches of the root that'll be at the bottom. Then plant those roots. Of course add fresh potting soil back to the pot before repotting.

• Vani Argula
    5 years ago

Hello friends, I would like to know more about this Rangoon creeper, I live in Arlington Tx. Any feedback is appreciated. Did your plant survived for winter here? I got one last year but now I am not sure it will come back or not

• HU-561078838
    3 years ago

Hi Rangoon Creeper fans, glad I found this thread, not sure if this is still alive. But I would like seed or cutting of the plant. I haven't seen any close by in stores.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    3 years ago

HU-...838. May I ask in what area of the state you live?

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    3 years ago

HU-...838, I got mine online from almost eden. If you share your area, maybe others in the forumn can help.

• HU-561078838
    3 years ago

I live in the Carrollton/Lewisville area of Dallas TX.

• HU-467960396
    2 years ago

Did any of your vine typically survive the north Texas winter? I am not referring to the freeze. It was one time thing hopefully. I am in love with the creeper and want to know your experience before planting it.