Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sensory garden plant choices

Posted by bedford8a 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 18:33

I'm baaaackkk. I had asked you all about a Biblical-themed garden at my school a week ago. Now my principal has shown me a raised garden bed in the preschool playground area she wants me to plant.

I thought a sensory garden might be good here. The plot is in full sun and is raised. I was thinking of planting herbs and flowers that the preschoolers can rub, touch and smell. What other herbs and flowers can you recommend that are non-toxic and pretty tough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sensory garden plant choices

fennel, rosemary and mint would be my favorites

o

If you would like plants to smell
basil
lemon basil
lemon balm
lemon thyme
Mexican mint marigold
sweet annnie
sage
dill
lavender
all the scented mints

One of my favorite things to do is to let guests smell plants and try to guess what they are. Once I took about 30 leaves to work and let my coworkers guess. They were so surprised that there were so many different smells.

copper canyon daisy also (it gets rather large)

o
RE: sensory garden plant choices 2nd reply

bedford
See my Sept. 9 reply on your 1st post.

o

add Vick's plant / plectranthus. It's a smell they recognize.

Next year you could plant cotton. they can see where it comes from. Email me for seeds if you do want to do that.

another good plant for feeling is mullien...or lamb's ear.

Here is a website with more information on doing the garden:

http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2007/07/create_your_own_5_senses_garden.html

good luck !

patty

o

Chocolate mint

o

lamb's ear

touch me not plant (mimosa pudica)

o

My favorite plants to touch have always been succulents. I love to gently squeeze aloe vera leaves, although it might be too pokey for kids. There are lots of other succulents that aren't spiny, though. Maybe one of those flap-jack kalanchoes? If you have a spot for a tree, I enjoy the smooth feel of Crape Myrtle bark. Ornamental grasses with soft plumes might be nice.

You should find something that makes nice sounds in the wind, too - something like inland sea oats maybe?

o

I think a good poke every once in awhile teaches kids a valuable lesson.

o

Ramie, it is a plant used to make cloth but has the most wonderfully textured leaves.
Clerodendrum trichotomum-smells like peanut butter
Lemon grass-yummy lemon
Piper auritum-smells like root beer and it`s edible!
Tally HO!

o

I can vouch for basil being surprisingly hardy; I planted some next to the water faucet right before my toddler discovered handles. It's not exactly thriving, but it's fine after being stepped on repeatedly.

He loves to pet the rosemary, too. And anything with flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here