Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Towering Malabar Spinach ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 19:25

Malabar spinach growing on the tower Bob built ...

This is the green variety and I just love it. The only way I prepare it is sauteed with garlic. So far I haven't gotten tired of it done this was but was wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe?

It's a wonderful plant to grow for summer greens. Nothing bothers it -- no bugs, no diseases -- and it always stays fresh and green without a great amount of water. I'll be bringing seeds to the San Antonio swap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Towering Malabar Spinach ...

Ragna, that is beautiful!!

Do you find the cooked malabar slimy at all?

It does make a beautiful vine doesn't it? Even if you just want it for decorative reasons. It is so lush but goes away during the winter so it is not invasive at all.

Thanks for sharing your pic.

T

o

Tammy, I agree. It makes a beautiful vine -- always green and very graceful looking in the way the ends of the stem point upwards. You can barely see that in the picture.

I don't find them more slimy than regular spinach. I don't chop the leaves before sauteing in olive oil and garlic so that may be the key. My big 12 in. skillet piled high with the leaves cooks down very quickly just like spinach does. I don't use any water. I just had some on that socca bread you clued me in on! Delish :-)

o

I'll have to get seeds from you, as this looks good.

Scroll down to see the finished dish.

Here is a link that might be useful: mong-toi

o

Beautiful vine, Roselee, and boy that recipe looks delish, Kathy. Invite me over the next time you are having this..........LOL>

o

Rosalee:
Thanks for posting. Was curious about Malabar Spinach myself..Looks like a winner to me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here