Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting PCF seeds in fall, any advice?

Posted by bluestemtex tx 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 19:26

I have a pound of Purple ConeFlower seed and want to sow it this fall in various locations around my property. I would appreciate any tips and advice on how and when. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting PCF seeds in fall, any advice?

I have always started mine in pots until they are large enough to transplant and had better luck this way than straight into the ground. But then you may have better soil. The other problem I have is they seem to be short lived at least for me here. For 2 years they gave me wonderful plants and blooms but then they died so it looks like I need to keep starting them from seed so I can enjoy them more as I love having a bloom that lasts for a month or more.

o

I don't have much luck with reseeding either. Pretty erratic
I wonder sometimes, wally, if they don't act more like bi-annuals.

o

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to create a mini prairie on part of my property, about half an acre. I already have a good number of native post oak savannah species and would love to get this naturalized into it. I`ll just give it a go and see what happens. The concensus seems to be that winter sowing may be best. Any other input would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Randy Hyden`s Life Blog on the Post Oak Savannah

o

I have great success 'winter sowing' mine in milk jugs. taterbug

o

Thanks, taterbug, what size jugs do you use , half gallons?
I might try some direct sowing and some pots as you say.

Here is a link that might be useful: Randy Hyden`s Life Blog on the Post Oak Savannah

o

My problem is I gave all my seeds away as my plants were so healthy but never came back this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here