Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Bees on the hummingbird feeder

plantmaven
10 years ago

Daine bought a hummingbird feeder. Several times a day about 10 to 15 bees and wasps feed. My question is will they hurt the birds?

Comments (8)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I have never seen both at the feeders at the same time. Actually, I haven't seen bees, just wasps so I changed the sugar solution to 20% sugar, 80% water and they quit swarming the feeder. The hummers do prefer it sweeter though, I think.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. She bought a premix when she bought the feeder. Perhaps that is the problem.

k

• carrie751
    10 years ago

The folks on the hummingbird forum say you should never use the premix, Kathy, so perhaps that is the problem.

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Yes, it's supposed to be 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Last winter the bees got out of control on the hummingbird feeder and some would get into the feeder and drown. Guess there was a hive too close to here. But before spring, the problem went away...as soon as the Arizona Ash trees started blooming, the bees went to it, then other plants were blooming. Now my problem is that certain kinds of birds have developed a fondness for the nectar. The hummingbirds don't like that! I haven't heard of wasps or bees stinging the hummers.

• avalonweddingsbcs
    10 years ago

random question...

do you use clear mix or is it red? is the feeder part red at all?

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

I don't put any red stuff in my mix. My feeder has plenty of red coloring. Once the hummers find the feeder, they know what it is from then on.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The feeder is red. We are using the red premix. But once it is gone, I will fix my own.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I've tried mixing my own and the hummers seem to prefer the premix.
    Just in the past week I'm seeing lots of bees and wasps and the hummingbirds feeding less.
    Maybe I'll try mixing my own again and see if the bees like it less.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner