Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root-knob nematodes

Posted by tx_ag_95 7/8 Lewisville (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 21:40

When I pulled up my okra today I found icky-nasty-knotted roots. Google pretty much confirmed my fear: nematodes. The black-eyed peas in the same bed didn't have the knots on their roots, but the roots seemed stunted. For that matter, all of the plants in the bed seemed stunted, I didn't get near as much "fruit" as I'd expected this summer.

The bed was essentially fallow for over a year prior to the planting in late May/early June of the okra seedlings and pea seeds. I tried to plant radish seeds last fall but they didn't do anything. I blamed it on "not enough water" because I frequently forgot to water them and there wasn't a soaker hose.

I want to plant my fall/winter seeds ASAP, but one of them is beets and they're highly susceptible to the nematodes. The rest are greens, radishes, and leeks. I MIGHT try to find some turnip seeds, too.

What advice do y'all have? I'd rather stick the seed packages in the fridge until January/February and do whatever I have to do to kill those icky bugs than plant the seeds and not get anything much.

I'm a little bit north of Dallas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root-knob nematodes

I seem to remember that there are winter cover crops that address root knot nematodes. Cereal rye is the one I've used, but there may be others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cereal rye as a cover crop

o

Where did you get the cereal rye seed barkingdogwoods?

o

When I lived in DFW I bought it at Marshall Grain feed store. They called it elbon or cereal rye. Native American Seed sells it online, as does Sustainable Seed Company; there might be other sources as well.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Cereal rye

o

So, Northaven Gardens recommends beneficial nematodes, but they'll take a couple of months to kill off the bad nematodes. So, I guess I'm sticking the seed packages in the fridge and waiting out the fall/winter crop.... :( I don't have enough pots OR potting soil to make a decent fall/winter crop. Maybe the Winter/Spring crop will make up for it????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here