Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

sweet almond verbena

cynthianovak
12 years ago

Have any of you made cuttings of this plant? I never found a single on in the local nurseries. Thought I'd try to make some. It's not like any verbena I've ever seen.

Any suggestions? It's very woody and one tall branch stands a good 6 ft tall.

Hope someone has done this.

thank you

c

Comments (10)

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Sweet Almond verbena,(Aloysia virgata) isn't really verbena, but it is easy to start from cuttings. I have 4 rooted right now, to take to a plant swap early next month. Good luck.
    Jim

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

The book How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest describes propagation of the Aloysia species by cuttings on page 102. It should also apply to Sweet Almond Verbena (A. virgata).

I'm hoping to acquire an A. macrostachya plant in the future. These seem like underused shrubs to me.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you
    I'm excited to try. I found this link. I thought I'd try in a plastic windowbox planter. It keeps moisture on the bottom. I'll get some rootin hormone too.

I was given mine by my brother in a small pot. It made it through the hard freeze and came back. It's in part sun and took until now to come into a full flower. It would droop in thos 100+ days but took it without a burnt leaf.

maybe some growers will catch on.

.....it's raining and I'm giddy
    c

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

I see it offered in nurseries down here, quite often.
    Jim

• novascapes
    12 years ago

I started mine in a mix of sharp sand and peat. Dipped it in rooting hormone first. I use a storage container for a cutting box. Like was said it roots easy. Once rooted I put it into the flower bed in a lightly shaded area. It seemed to have rooted into the soil very fast getting established. During our extreme heat, wind, and drought it flourished and is already blooming at about a foot tall.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Ty, since you mentioned it I wanted to say I love the A. macrostachya. I got it at the San Antonio Botanical Garden sale several years back. They had it at the last sale I attended so I bought another one. I'm thinking they may have it at their plant sale today.

It's kind of a tall gangly bush so looks best planted at the back of a border, but it's been evergreen in my yard through the harshest winters and is always in bloom.

And of course I absolutely adore Sweet almond verbena. I have three plants. I've never tried to root it but glad to hear it roots easily. I'll try to root it and the Wooly bee bush, Aloysia macrostachya pictured above for the spring swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloysia macrostachya ...

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Roselee, I want a start of your wooly bugger plant. LOL!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Will do Kathy :-)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

The person that recommended sweet almond verbena to me called it a bush. I thought a bush, well mine is as high as the gutters. It froze to the ground this past winter, but is, again, that high.
    Don't plant it where you want a small "bush".
    I should have researched it better.

• zippity1
    12 years ago

my sweet almond verbena is at least 12 foot tall and at least 8 foot across
    more like a small tree