Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do I plant winter wheat? NTX

Posted by tim_the_gardner 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 22:56

When should I plant winter wheat in the Dallas area? I have a small (50x50) area where I normally plant Corn sometime around April 1st. I bought some wheat from a local feed store and wanted to plant it in the same area, to improve the soil... and if I am lucky, maybe get some edible wheat grain also. Also when would the wheat be ready to harvest? Would it be ready before April 1st? since I plan on planting corn there around April 1st. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do I plant winter wheat? NTX

Plant the winter wheat now. It should be ready to harvest by May 1, or thereabouts.

o

Man that's going to cut into my Corn crop planting. I try to get it in the ground on April 1st. Is there a chance it will be done before May? Maybe if I water it well? fertilize it? maybe speed up the process? Thanks for the help,

tim

o
Nope, I don't think so, but maybe

If you plant right now - water and fertilize, maybe it will be ready by April 1, but that is really early for winter wheat.

o

I've never seen wheat harvested before June. Could you plant the wheat on the whole plot and then turn under half while it's still green, and then plant the other half after the wheat harvest? BTW, how do you plan on threshing your wheat?

I've grown wheat before, for the same reasons as you, and even though a book I have said it is easy to thresh with a plastic baseball bat, I found it very difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here