Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novie_gw

Small tree or shrubs for courtyard

Novie
9 years ago

Can someone please suggest a nice small ornamental tree or shrub that will only grow to 12~15ft max for my small courtyard. Some things that is green all year long so leave does not fall off in winter and make the courtyard messy. Also small root system is a must so it does not damage foundation of my house. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• bjb817
    9 years ago

Mountain Laurel

• Novie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the recommendation but the seeds, leaves and most everything about this beautiful tree is poisonous.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

What about Osmanthus Fragrans? It is an evergreen, HIGHLY fragrant shrub! Not poisonous and not a prolific seeder. Root system is also not a hassle!

This post was edited by AuroraWA on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 13:42

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

You can prune a yaupon holly into a multi-trunked tree.

I think roots are going to be a problem no matter what you plant though I have a yaupon 2 feet from my house and even closer to the sidewalk (stupid builder) and it hasn't caused any problems. Been there 30 years.

• Novie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two nice recommendation. I can get large size Yaupon Holly easily, where to find fully grown Tea Olive is gonna be a challenge. A big Thanks to ya'll

• bjb817
    9 years ago

Sweet Olive is a good pick since the poisonous aspect is a concern. Guess Oleander is out too. ;^)

Home Depot and Lowes typically carry Sweet Olive around here. The biggest I've seen them have is 3 gallon though. I'm a guy and even have to admit they smell nice when in bloom!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    9 years ago

I don't know where you're located, but if you can get to Blue Moon Gardens in Chandler, they usually have sweet olives. (I'd call in advance if you're traveling, although the nursery is worth the trip if you're anywhere in north Texas.)

You can also see (smell?) their full-size one that's planted on the north side of one of their buildings.

• Novie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in Houston. It will be quite a drive. Will start looking for them at Lowes, HomeDepot in Feb., March. Hopefully they will stock some large ones. Thanks again everyone.