o
Do you still have hummers in DFW?

Posted by marti8a 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 23:32

I haven't seen any in a couple of days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you still have hummers in DFW?

I never see tons like some people do just 2 or 3 at a time but mine were still hear tomight during our evening sit outside and commune with nature happy hour. But they are usually gone by the end of September so I won't be suprised if they go soon.

o

I still have a few that I see each day, though not as often as normal.............they are migrating and will soon be gone until next season. I shall miss them. Right now, I am enjoying the Monarchs.

o

I still have a few, we just had our morning visit with one during breakfast. Over Labor Day Weekend I noticed a HUGE drop off. Before that, I'd see up to 4 at a time.. doing battle over the feeders or nearby plants. Suddenly there were only occasional visits by a single one at a time.

I still keep the feeders out and fresh up to Thanksgiving just in case a late one comes along.

I'm sure you still have some visits, you just aren't catching them. They are quick and I suspect most are not still trying to feed babies anymore. They're fattening up for the trip south and eating lots of bugs.

Yesterday I noticed a few monarchs flitting around.

o

i had one yesterday on the flame acanthus and turks cap, and saw several last weekend chasing each other around. Haven't seen any Monarchs, and the butterfly weed I plant for them every years is untouched. Not a chewed leaf to be had. Last year they came late tho, so I'm still hopeful.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 12:55

I've seen one several times this morning on the feeder.
Haven't seen any monarchs, but have been seeing a swallowtail fluttering around some.

o

Are the hummers you get mostly ruby-throats? Here, in a slightly more northern and much colder zone, we have hummingbirds right up into early October most years. Maybe this is due to the greater diversity and abundance of these little guys farther West? We have two species that nest locally, and two more that migrate through, most in impressive numbers.

o

Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 14:45

We have had ruby throated ones in the past, but not usually and not this year.

Several years ago during one of our mild winters, we saw a hummer several times around the Christmas holidays.

Photobucket

o

We've been seeing them much more often this past week or so. Only have two or three. Also have seen one big Monarch the other day.

o

Oddly, I never see any, but have seen one (or one at a time, not sure) over the last week. Last time was 3 days ago. I'd given up and put up the feeder this spring, so when I saw one, I got it out. By the time it was cleaned up and filled, they quit coming.

o

I saw one or two hummers last evening while I was mowing the yard, though it was hard to tell with the big cloud of dirt around me. lol

o

I don't see many rubies, mostly black chin.

o

we are starting to see a lot of them, over the past couple of weeks I would say so they must be starting their migration. They have been feasting on everything blooming in the yard.
Tally HO!

o

I saw one or two yesterday. I tried to get on here to post, but the site wasn't working right. Anyway, he came by right after I put out my fresh feeder, but didn't seem interested. Hopefully he'll find it then remember my yard next year.

o

I saw a few yesterday as well, and mine are never interested in the feeders when they have so much else to feed on.

o

Still seeing several visits per day here at my house. They use both the feeder and then blooms.

Since the rain and constant cloud cover haven't seen any butterflies at all.

o

Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 23:11

I saw a hummer yesterday and today on the feeders. They are probably visiting the flowers also, but I just don't see them. I have the feeders placed where I can see them from the kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here