Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Celebration of Roses in Farmers Branch on Sat

ogrose_tx
11 years ago

This is cross posted on the Antique Roses Forum. I'm so excited, our Celebration of Roses will be in Farmers Branch (just down the road a bit from where I live) on Saturday, and Greg Lowery will be there as well as William Welch. I've been before, we're expecting great weather, with our cool autumn, and I've ordered three of his French roses which are in quarantine, will be delivered next year, and he will speak on this subject! They also have a bluegrass band that plays, a hotdog/hamburger lunch, will be a fun day.

This is where they have had the test gardens for Earthkind roses, so much to see! Plan to go to our garden swap in Carrollton in the morning, then stop at home to pick up my DH, it will be a busy day!

Will take pictures this time, I promise!

Comments (4)

• melvalena
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

More info please! Location.. times... so we can also make our plans!

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Melvalina, here you go! They also have bluegrass music, crafts stands, etc. Just an all around fun afternoon!

Saturday, Oct 20 10:30a to 4:30p

Farmers Branch Parks and Recreation - Gussie Field Watterworth Park
    2610 Valley View Ln.
    Farmers Branch, TX 75381
    (972) 919-2620

Price: Free

Phone: (972) 919-2625

Age Suitability: All Ages

Farmers Branch will celebrate roses in the gardens and with an outstanding slate of speakers in council chambers. Dr. William Welch will talk on "Heirloom Plants and Gardens for the South". Gregg Lowery an extraordinary Rosarian will present "Old French Tea Roses, Rare Choices for the Texas Gardener". Greg Grant talks about "My Garden - My First Rose" sharing his passion for plants.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's Marianna Greene's article from the Dallas Morning News:

Some of my garden roses are putting on a fall show, though I dare not look at them directly for fear of inviting bad luck. I marveled at their prolific beauty last June, even puffed out my chest a bit � as if I had anything to do with the extravagant display. Then there was the historic hailstorm in June, shattering blossoms and breaking branches. Some rosebushes were split in half.

I gave up gardening, but my despondency lasted only a few weeks. I tried to bandage my wounded soldiers and amputated a few limbs. But I have been lovingly feeding and watering them all summer, talking sweetly to them, if you must know, and most are bouncing back, rewarding me with a few big, full, fragrant flowers.

I do not spend my money on a rose that does not smell like a rose. My garden roses are mainly old hybrids whose history goes back to long-established Texas cottage gardens, abandoned farmsteads and old cemeteries. I can bury my face in a newly opened rose and swoon.

If you are a rose gardener or wish to try cultivating them, Saturday holds unusual opportunity. Farmers Branch is holding its Celebration of Roses all day, featuring three presentations, a silent auction of young roses from a highly regarded nursery in California, and the Farmers Branch public gardens filled with roses in their fall flush.

One of the speakers, Gregg Lowery, has devoted more than two decades to propagating old roses at his Vintage Gardens (vintagegardens.com) in Sebastopol, Calif. His current special project is to bring recently rediscovered heirloom French roses that had been lost to the nursery trade to American gardens. Like the cottage roses brought with farm wives and others colonizing Texas, Lowery�s selections have long histories.

"France was the source of most of the old roses we grow today in our gardens," Lowery says in an email. "In the 19th century, it was the home of the world�s great rose-makers. In their efforts to create new roses that bloomed continually, they worked with a group of roses imported from China, the China and tea roses."

In 2013, many old roses from France, grown from cuttings at Vintage Gardens for two years under U.S. quarantine, will be shipped to customers across the United States who reserved them when Lowery made the offer known.

"The collectors of old roses and nursery people in France have in the past few years rediscovered a wealth of old tea roses, early hybrid teas, Chinas and noisettes," Lowery says. "We were keen to see these get into the hands of American gardeners, as the groups are recognized for their suitability to the South and the West, where many rose growers reside."

Because these French roses are still under quarantine, Lowery cannot bring them to Texas yet. He will lecture about these roses, representing "some of the greatest rose hybridizers in the history of the rose." He has donated other rarely seen roses from his nursery to a silent auction to benefit the Farmers Branch rose gardens.

This is the shopping opportunity: "Some of the very special roses," Lowery says, "include the single yellow Banksia rose, Rosa banksiae �Lutescens�; a foundling hybrid gigantea (these are giant ramblers related to the tea roses) known as the Santa Clara University Cemetery No. 16, a rose that resembles a massive �Gloire de Dijon�; and �Reine Marie Pia,� a climbing tea rose with double pink flowers, quite fragrant," among others.

The silent auction will open at noon Saturday and close at 4 p.m., with bids starting at $15.

Dr. William Welch from Texas A&M University, author of Antique Roses for the South and the new Heirloom Gardening in the South, will talk about Southern heirloom plants and gardens. His co-author on the 2012 book, Greg Grant, also will speak. Grant, a seventh-generation Texan, has restored his grandparents� dogtrot farmhouse in Arcadia, near Nacogdoches, and planted flowers and shrubs suitable to its age and style.

In addition to tours of the Farmers Branch rose gardens, the Dallas Rose Society will have its fall rose show from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m.

Free registration, which includes a lunch of hot dogs, will be in the Gussie Field Watterworth Park pavilion beginning at 10:30 a.m. Parking will be available at City Hall, 13000 William Dodson Parkway. Shuttles will move through the gardens, and master gardeners will be available for questions. For more details, see fbroses.com.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all the info!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville