Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

What a surprise....

carrie751
12 years ago

When I took the trash to the street this morning, I got a whiff of something very fragrant, and it was my lilac blooming again. Is this normal? I think it has not done this before.

Comments (11)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have found that sometimes summers can be so harsh they make some plants think they are winter. Wisteria can be pushed into a secondary blooming in that manner. You get to grow Lilac!!!! I am envious.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Wow -- that's great Carrie! Yes to what Mara said. Poor plants are so stressed they think they've been through a winter. Not that I'm complaining, but my sweet olive is blooming. I've noticed blooms before only in late winter and early spring. Also some of the Voodoo lilies have emerged after going dormant in August which is normal. They were not due to show up again until late May.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, at least it has time to finish it's blooms before first frost (she says hopefully). You know how I feel about winter.......LOL>
    Mara, I planted this as a very small seedling when we first moved out here almost twenty years ago, and did not tell it they are not supposed to grow here. It was in a spot that got little attention so it has thrived on it's own, and perhaps that was best as I sometimes tend to be a little over zealous about my plants.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

We have quite a lot of spring blooming trees coming out of heat dormancy and blooming here in Oklahoma. You see trees looking half dead with maybe one or two branches green and blooming. I think there will be a lot of major trimming and removal of dead trees next year.

Another weird thing is the warm season grasses. Most bloomed very early. My Panicum grasses started blooming in late June. Bluestem in mid July. Its usually not until late August or September on these.

We got a bit of rain in September and with the cooler weather, I have never seen the thick flowering I am now getting on my natives. Its like they saved up energy and its all being put toward flowers all at once now. I have Thelesperma plants that are solid yellow mounds now. They bloomed all summer but now they are in hyper-bloom mode.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

My friend informed me the other day that my garden "exploded". The natives are so happy it's not hot anymore! I have off time blooms too.

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

carrie...you have a lilac?!? I grew up with them and miss them terribly

Which variety do you have and where did you find one?

what a great gift while taking out the trash :+]

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cynthia, I wish I could tell you, but I honestly have no idea as it was so long ago and I really did not expect it to make it.........(oh, ye, of little faith). I am more than willing to give cuttings though if you would like to try to root one.
    BTW, did you get my last email?????

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Still no rain here and still no water. Well, if you call 1/3" rain. It sure did not effect any blooming here. Natives are still closed up for the year. I see a few gay feathers in the neighborhood and that is it. Grass is burnt brown, trees wilted and brown. I did see some greenish grass about 30 miles away in Wimberley.

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

What color is your lilac carrie? Yes, I got your email. I just found a BIG plastic pot yesterday.

Don't bother with a cutting. But I might try to figure out the variety if you have a color. I believe Monrovia offered a lilac for the south.

enjoy that wonderful lilac whif!

c

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Carrie, yesterday I went into the backyard, to plant my new daylilies. I was also suprised by the wonderful smell. Brugmansia were blooming next to the house. It took me by complete suprise, they have not bloomed for such a long time. Now I remembered why I loved that plant so much. Barbra

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Absolutely, Barbra..............you have to experience the fragrance of brugmansia at least once in your life, and then you are hooked.