Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpollen

What kind of soil north of Houston?

bpollen
9 years ago

Hey, all. I'm in Dallas thinking of moving to the north of Houston area. (I'm also considering a couple of places in Louisiana, which is where I'm from.)

From what I've read, the soil is different in different areas north of Houston. I've driven through there but never put a shovel to ground there. Can anyone help with the type of soil in the Conroe or The Woodlands or Spring or Tomball or Kingwood, etc., areas?

Specifically, I have my heart set on fig trees, as well as other kinds of fruit. I guess citrus is out of the question north of Houston? (Of course I could set up a greenhouse for that.) Watermelon, blackberries, figs, canteloupe. As for flowers, I would love azaleas (being from La.).

I tried figs here in Dallas, but it's too darn hot in the summer, and the winter freezes were too hard for them to take. Azaleas were out of the question, requiring too different a soil than what we have (I don't want to try growing things that don't do well in an area.)

Any help would be appreciated. It looks like south of Houston is out of my price range, so I'm focusing on north of Houston, just outside the beltway. Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments (10)

• Carla
    9 years ago

I've always heard that the area around Hempstead is pH neutral, which means you can grow most anything that doesn't require a lot of acid or alkaline soil.

Carla

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

The north edge of Harris county is transition between the Coast Prairie and East Texas Timberland land resource areas (or Western Gulf Coastal Plain and Pineywoods ecoregions). Soil generally changes from the coastal clay or clay loams to sands or sandy loams (and from neutral to acidic) as you move north in that area. Healthy native pines are probably the most obvious signs the soil is no longer straight clay and leaning acidic.

Even the most southern cities you mentioned have areas of mixed pine/hardwood forests. We have relatives in Spring Cypress with both grapefruit and native pine trees, so some citrus can do well north of Houston. Other benefit for azaleas in Houston area is that tap water does not come from limestone lined reservoirs as it does in north and central Texas, so tends to be a bit less alkaline.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soils of Texas

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My grandmother had a vigorous fig tree in her back yard down near Rice and the medical center. I've seen figs where we go pick blueberries to the north (not too far from The Woodlands). I know they are grown around here, so I don't think they would be a problem.

My idea of just outside the beltway is not quite into the pines -- where the azaleas will do best, both for soil and filtered light. Azaleas love the wooded areas to the north -- as mentioned above, look for the pines. There the soil becomes more acidic and you get the afternoon shade they need.

Citrus would be safest to the south -- it averages 10 degrees warmer and can be more. Still, I know a family that has a lemon tree planted near their door on the south side of the house -- protected by the house, and it's been there for years, putting out a ton of lemons. They do better than mine in pots brought into the garage when the temps drop.

Are you working with a realtor? They may not help you with soil -- some can and some can't, but it sounds like you need some help figuring out the area. There are various price points in both directions -- Houston, that is-- can't help you in LA. Of course, you might need one realtor to the north and another to the south. The markets can be pretty local. I think you need to figure out your neighborhoods and then look at soil. If you plan to live there anyway. ;-)

• wally_1936
    9 years ago

Figs should grow almost anywhere. I have one that is too large with a trunk over 12 inches across. but the best ones I loved here are the bush varieties. So what type you grow you may want to contact your local extension agent once you find our where you will be living. I have seen fig trees as far north as Maryland and South to Bracketville Texas so your chose of variety will depend on where you locate.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

They have varieties of hardier citrus. I have a friend growing oranges in East Austin. Delicious and the tree is about 10 feet. She does have it against a building so it is protected.

• bpollen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm much encouraged.

As for figuring out the soil after I decide where to live, I'm doing it just the opposite: I am going to move to where I can grow things the best. I am semi-retired. I'm pretty sure that no matter where I live around Houston, I'll be able to find a part time job, which is all I will need.

I'm from the Gulf Coast, have worked decades in Dallas. Paid my dues. I'm moving for my dream: I want to have a nice yard with a great edible garden and beautiful plants and trees. A lot of work, but I'm going to give it my all.

Thanks again for your responses.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

I can't help with the real estate decisions, but here is a website that might interest you. It is John Panzarella's website about growing fruit in Lake Jackson, with special emphasis on citrus. He has a variety of fruit trees for sale, and he holds a citrus tasting in December. I found his website helpful when I was researching about growing fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panzarella citrus

9 years ago

Clayton Bell has a blog about his experiences growing fruit in Houston (I think northwest part) that you might find interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayton Bell's blog

9 years ago

Here is a link to an article from several years ago that talks about the Gulf Coast Fruit Study Group. It also talks about the experimental orchard at the Harris County Extension site in Bear Creek Park near Highway 6. I lived in Houston for over 10 years before I ever heard of this experimental orchard. I think you can visit the orchard and garden at any time that Bear Creek Park is open, but if you wish to talk to those that tend it, you need to call the extension office to find out when the those people will be there.

There is a nursery in Tomball called The Arbor Gate that carries a very large selection of fruit trees. I would think they could tell you more about the soil in the Tomball area as well as give you information about what fruit trees will do best in their area.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardening article from 2012

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus