Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaskelley

what's in your hanging baskets?

texaskelley
12 years ago

The house DH and I are moving into has a porch (hooray!). Not only does it have a porch, but it already has three or four hooks for hanging baskets (more hooray!). I have never had a house with a porch, let alone one I could HANG BASKETS on. So, being new to the climate, what do you put in your hanging baskets? And do you put different things in them for fall/winter? I would like to make my own, not just buy whatever's hanging at Home Depot. I've looked at the container gardening forum for ideas, but I know everyone here can give me more zone specific advice. So: what goes in a good Texas hanging basket?

T-minus three days and counting. I will be SO glad to be in MY OWN house again!

AOK

Comments (5)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Lantana in summer. Violets in winter. Congrats on your home :)

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

There are so many plants that can be grown in hanging baskets. I'm an "herbie", i.e. lover of herbs. Being raised on a farm, I was taught to mainly plant things that can be consumed in one way or another. There are many beautiful herbs that can be grown in hanging pots. A few are prostrate rosemary, creeping oregano, some of the creeping mints, and creeping thymes to name just a few!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

It depends on which way your patio faces.

Right now I have 2 hanging baskets on the back porch that faces south. BUT one is in a deep corner that gets no sunlight, it has maiden hair fern. The other gets a little sun and bright shade the rest of the time, it has Arabian Jasmine. Both must be brought inside for the winter.

Calloways has some pansies that are specifically bred to spread and hang down when planted in hanging baskets. You could start off with those and then in the late spring switch them out to something else.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Suggestion: try to use the largest hanging baskets you can find so you won't have to water them twice a day in the summer :-)

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

My summer hanging baskets are now 18 mos old. They are the brown and copper colored angel wing begonias. They were in part sun this summer and took a beating. I'll bring them in for winter again. But they have surprised me.

In winter I like the viola Purple Rain. It's a trailing form and deep rich purple color. I also like the plentiful series of violas for the sam reason. They have smaller flowers than Purple Rain but the sam trailig form.

I'll ass some alyssum and to a big pot, I'll add some curled leaf parsley.

let us know what you come up with

Wow...I went to get a photo and found that there are many different images of this plant that look more like "plentiful" or "sorbet" varieties. You might try that Dave site.

c