Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Mexican Firebush

carrie751
12 years ago

Need advice on protecting this plant for the upcoming winter. I put two in the ground in the Spring and they are flourishing. Do I need to take cuttings, just in case, or is there a pretty good chance they can handle our winters okay?? This is a gorgeous plant and I would hate to lose it.

Thanks for any advice, and especially North Texas gardeners, as that is where I am located.

Comments (12)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Carrie, mine was root-hardy in the winter, even over this past winter. The one that was in a front bed, facing west, fared the best.

Lin

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lin, mine are in a bed that faces East and gets about six hours of sun each day, but they won't be protected from the biting north winds this winter.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Carrie, please don't mention "biting north winds" just yet.
    Jim

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hate to think about them also, Jim...(I am definitely a summer person), but unfortunately, they will get to me before they get to you.
    I am wondering now if I should cut the bushes back before frost or afterwards???

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I have one that comes back each year. not very protected but is near a piece of flagstone. I have 2 in pots that I will drag in because I love this plant so much! Inevitably one freezes in the greenhouse then comes back from the ground. It doesn't get up and running any faster than the one in the ground. This year I plan to leave one more in the ground, but that could change as the winds get colder.

I have 4...love them all particuarly this time of year.

c

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Carrie, mine was in Euless and was out at the sidewalk. The only protection was a short (6-8") stone wall about a foot in front of it. It was mulched with leaves from the oak above it, but that was all.

They do come back quite late, though.

Lin

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did you cut it back before or after frost????

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I cut mine back after freeze. Seems that they freeze pretty easily. About like Duranta if memory serves me. I'm usually crazed when the first freeze comes. It's always a big surprise during the fist 10 days of December...grins.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, think I will take cuttings anyway as I could use a couple more of these plants.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

I always wait till spring to cut back plants that are as tender as the hamelias. I remember reading in Pass-along Plants that that gives additional hardiness to lantana, and I figure if it helps them, it might help others.

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

I have one that has lived against a west facing wall and cut it back after it freezes and dies. It comes back every year, but late. This spring I dug it up and put it in a pot in the same spot. Thought I'd killed it, but didn't. (I don't like it since it is so late to come back in the summer and dead all winter, but my DH loves it.) I'll put it in the shop this winter and plant it somewhere it won't be alone this spring. Probably south side of the house and get rid of those ugly rose of sharons. That way DH is happy and so am I.

• beachplant
    12 years ago

Mine survived Ike and both winter freezes, it does die back but grows so quickly it doesn't matter.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County