Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3boys2girls_gw

Fall Garden DFW

3boys2girls
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and new to gardening as well. We live in the DFW area and would like to know which vegetables grow best in our area for the fall. Is it too late to plant? Also, we planted tomatoes, jalapenos, and basil this summer as a trial for our first time - we planted very late, and it was very hot by then. Our tomatoes never grew anything except flowers. The jalapenos didn't grow anything until recently - the last two weeks or so we have a ton growing. The basil did great the whole time.

What did we do wrong on the tomatoes? Was is just too hot?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments (12)

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

I've had good luck with growing peas over the fall-winter season.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• weldontx
    11 years ago

Plant NOW: kale, chard, lettuce, spinach. If the kids curl their noses at kale, try kale chips. IF the winter is not too harsh, these will grow mos,t if not all, winter. If your soil is this black clay, try amending with a good quality compost.

• Christian
    11 years ago

I just sowed some additional turnips and collards a couple weeks ago. I might sow some cabbage too this weekend. I have lettuce and turnips growing which I sowed in early Sept. and they are doing very well.
    I would also throw in peas as suggested, although it depends on how early we have a hard freeze. If it gets into the 20s by early Dec. they will probably not make it and you might not get anything.

• scavengingangel
    11 years ago

What variety of kale do y'all like? I've just learned to make Kale chips and would like to plant some as well if it's not too late. Does it grow from seeds or should I look for seedlings this time of year?

• weldontx
    11 years ago

scavenging, In think that any kale will do fine. Mine is an heirloom type, but just find some off a seed rack and get them in the ground. They need to get started quickly in case
    we have a really cold spell before mid Dec.
    If anyone wants to try heirloom seeds, I've had good luck with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. seeds@rareseeds.com

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

Sorry for the bad picture. Here is what I am growing in the DFW area.

Kale
    Broccoli
    Giant Lullcus Chard
    Fordhook Chard
    Variety of Beets
    Carrots
    Lettuce
    Leeks
    Green Onions

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Mustard greens grow well and are great with homemade vinegar pepper sauce! They grow well for me all winter.

• scavengingangel
    11 years ago

Awesome, I'll look for some tomorrow! I saw decorative/landscaping Kale babies at Big Orange and wondered if it mattered, I've read some taste better than others but not which. Do they interplant with strawberries ok if I plan to eat/pull them before the strawberries fill in? I have strawberry plugs in 1.5' squares, maybe plant a Kale in each intersecting corner? Or am I asking for pest problems? I had little worms like crazy last time I planted cabbage/broccolis.

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

I had some caterpillars working my broccoli before I pulled out the BT spray and used it on all of the greens. Haven't seen them since I did that.

• optimistique
    11 years ago

This is my second year gardening in the fall in DFW. This last cool snap has probably helped cool the soil enough to direct seed some crops now: broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, collards, lettuce.

However, I would also purchase some seedlings at Home Depot or Lowes of any crops that I hope to harvest before Thanksgiving. This is because the shorter, cooler days make for very slow growing conditions and things direct seeded now, may simply overwinter until spring.

You can also plant garlic now, but know that it will not be ready until May-ish, so plant it somewhere you won't need until after that.

You can check out my blog from last fall and this fall to see what worked/didn't for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardening Blog

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago

Sowed some Kale, hopefully it will grow well.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

• dfw_gardener
    11 years ago